Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why isnt Diego Garcia an issie with the far left?

Default Why isnt Diego Garcia an issie with the far left?

Since some people on the fat left are obsessed with hating Israel i just want to ask them do you have any opinion on Diego Garcia?

Now just incase they wondering what im on about read the following links

Paradise Cleansed

by John Pilger

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/video1027.htm

In 1965, the Chagos Islands, which include Diego Garcia, were detached from Mauritius to form part of the British Indian Ocean Territories (BIOT). In 1966, the crown bought the islands and plantations, which had been under private ownership and which had not been profitable with the introduction of new oils and lubricants. In 1971, the plantations were closed because of the agreement between the United Kingdom and the United States to make Diego Garcia available to the U.S. as a military base. No payment was made as part of this arrangement, although it has been claimed that the United Kingdom received a US$14 million discount on the acquisition of Polaris missiles from the United States.[3] This agreement also forbids any other economic activity on the island.

Until 1971, Diego Garcia had a native population of 2000 individuals , known as the Chagossians (or Ilois), which was composed of the descendants of East Indian workers and African slaves who had been brought to the island in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries to work on the coconut and copra plantations. They lived in three settlements: East Point (the main settlement on the eastern rim of the atoll), Minni Minni (2.75 mi or 4.5 km north of East Point), and Pointe Marianne (on the western rim). The islanders were forcibly depopulated to the Seychelles and then to Mauritius amid allegations of starvation and intimidation tactics by the U.S. and UK governments, including the alleged killing of island dogs by American soldiers. Ever since their expulsion, the Chagossians have continually asserted their right to return to Diego Garcia. In April 2006, 102 Chagossians were allowed to visit Diego Garcia for a week, to tend to graves and visit their birthplaces.[4]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Garcia

Where in the World Is Diego Garcia?
    A strategic U.K. and U.S. airbase with a dark history

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/dg.html

Is the reason the far left wont call for the right to return for Chagossians
    like they do call for return for palestians is it because as i suspect that Diego Garcia isnt a Jewish state?which they dont wanna say anything because some or most on the far left are anti semites.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Why isnt Diego Garcia an issie with the far left?

Quote Originally Posted by Thewarrior007
    Is the reason the far left wont call for the right to return for Chagossians like they do call for return for palestians is it because as i suspect that Diego Garcia isnt a Jewish state?which they dont wanna say anything because some or most on the far left are anti semites.
    You seem to have it all sussed out.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My understanding is that the US/UK have agreed to allow them return?

Oh, Oh, Oh sweety that title is nerve wrecking.

It is:
    Why isnt Diego Garcia an issie with the far left?

It ought to be:
    Why isn't Diego Garcia an issue with the far-left?

Punctuation please.
    Liquidate labour, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is a major campaign to get permission to return - and I don't believe it is limited to the "Far Left". John Pilinger has made more than one Doc on the subject, and I've seen demos in London too.

They don't mention it on FOX or SkyNews, which may be why you've not heard of it, Thewarrior007

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Why isnt Diego Garcia an issie with the far left?

Quote Originally Posted by Thewarrior007
    Since some people on the fat left are obsessed with hating Israel i just want to ask them do you have any opinion on Diego Garcia?
    The fat left, who are these overweight commies? they must be stopped!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The current situation, from memory, is that about 2001 the Chagos Islanders won their 30 year legal battle in the UK's highest court. The court ruled that the UK gov must either allow them to return or compensate them.

a while later the UK gov announced that they wouldn't cos they didn't want to and it would be too expensive.

Then they issued a decree, called an "order in council" which overturned the court ruling.

Last I heard, the islanders had returned to court and had the "order in council" declared void.

I haven't heard what the UK reply is.

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan
    The current situation, from memory, is that about 2001 the Chagos Islanders won their 30 year legal battle in the UK's highest court. The court ruled that the UK gov must either allow them to return or compensate them.

a while later the UK gov announced that they wouldn't cos they didn't want to and it would be too expensive.

Then they issued a decree, called an "order in council" which overturned the court ruling.

Last I heard, the islanders had returned to court and had the "order in council" declared void.

I haven't heard what the UK reply is.
    What the hell is an order in council?
    Does the Magna Carta count for nothing anymore.
    Liquidate labour, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defeated Romanticist
    Does the Magna Carta count for nothing anymore.
    Did she die in vain?

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And who are.. the "fat Left" .. Michael Moore supporters ?
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast