Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suas - the Liffey Cable Car & Fast Track Planning Approv

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Suas - the Liffey Cable Car & Fast Track Planning Approv

This is a report from the Irish Times last August

"A cable car service running along the River Liffey in Dublin called the "Suas", a 21-hectare extension to Dublin Port and the new Metro North rail line to Dublin airport and Swords, are among 53 projects seeking fast-track planning approval from An Bord Pleanála.

The Strategic Infrastructure Act, which came into force last January, directs that certain projects, particularly those relating to major transport, environment or energy schemes, be handled directly by An Bord Pleanála, rather than first having to be dealt with by local authorities.

The schemes seeking fast-track approval, include projects which have already received considerable national attention, such as the route of the Corrib onshore gas pipeline, Metro North, and the extension of the red Luas line from Tallaght to Citywest.

Others such as the "Suas" surfaced briefly as a concept some time ago and are just now emerging as a real prospect.

The Liffey Cable Car Company Ltd is seeking rapid approval for the Suas which would run along the side of the river Liffey from Heuston Station to Dublin Docklands.

Designed more as a tourist attraction than a transport service, the Suas, which is understood to have been inspired by the success of the London Eye, would transport sightseers along the Liffey quays, taking advantage of the removal of large lorries from the quayside."

(link http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ire...230371504.html

While it's great that the planning process is being simplified, do we have any more faith in An Bord Pleanála than the local authorities? I mean, if eyesores like this are thought of as appropriate aren't we just in danger of unleashing another Sam Stephenson era, only this time on a much larger scale? I'm all for innovation in architechtural design, but the sight of this on Dublin's quays would horrify me.

Here's a pic:

INTJ | Economic L/R: -8.50 | Social Lib/Auth: -8.51

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is going to be rather ugly if it goes ahead. The enormous pole does nothing for Gandon's great architecture.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás
    It is going to be rather ugly if it goes ahead. The enormous pole does nothing for Gandon's great architecture.
    I agree, it looks like a concrete pump!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is pretty ugly, alright. I can't imagine this being accepted - totally out of place.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I take it that Suas is a government initiative and not a private one. If this is the case I think we have nothing to worry about. Government ineptitude will save us from this eyesore.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its dreadful, can we not have a monorail instead...

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AXL ROSE
    I take it that Suas is a government initiative and not a private one. If this is the case I think we have nothing to worry about. Government ineptitude will save us from this eyesore.
    Nope, a private endeavour. The Government being innovative?? Pishaw...
    INTJ | Economic L/R: -8.50 | Social Lib/Auth: -8.51

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jam_mac_jam
    Its dreadful, can we not have a monorail instead...
    Good idea! That would be deadly.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfás
    I agree, it looks like a concrete pump!
    Presumably it might enable someone to actually see Gandon's architecture without having to chop down those trees.

I think its a reasonable idea, but I'd wonder at making it a cable car. A monorail is probably more costly, but would be a better addition to the city.
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Someone suggested on this site a while ago that they put an underground system under the Grand Canal linking the two luas lines and servicing of the canal area with minimal disruption of traffic. i thought it was the best idea I had heard of in a long time. It could even be developed to include the dart at grand canal dock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast