Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 73 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The abortion debate has no place in the primary school classroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The abortion debate has no place in the primary school classroom

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...hool-1.1432477

A pretty astonishing story in the Irish Times today. Eddie Shaw, a former spokesman for Cardinal Desmond Connell and currently Head of PR at Carr Communications, in his capacity as the chairman of the board of management at Harold School in Glasthule was responsible for distribution of leaflets to children at the Harold School in Glasthule promoting the Vigil for Life rally in Dublin on June 8th.

This has met with a severe backlash from parents who have called for him to resign.

One parent of a five-year-old was asked by the child what an abortion was and felt deeply annoyed to have been put in that position.
    Parent Mark O’Driscoll said Mr Shaw told the meeting “he should have put the leaflets in an envelope, which is to miss the point entirely”. He felt Mr Shaw’s apology was “inadequate”.
    If ever there was a compelling example of why religious influence over our schools should be ended forthwith then this is it. This was a cynical and unacceptable exploitation of children for the furtherance of a political campaign. Imagine the outrage we would be experiencing had it been pro-choice information which had been distributed?

This guy should be removed from his position immediately.
    Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Anger over

A pretty astonishing story in the Irish Times today. Eddie Shaw, a former spokesman for Cardinal Desmond Connell and currently Head of PR at Carr Communications, in his capacity as the chairman of the board of management at Harold School in Glasthule was responsible for distribution of leaflets to children at the Harold School in Glasthule promoting the Vigil for Life rally in Dublin on June 8th.

This has met with a severe backlash from parents who have called for him to resign.

If ever there was a compelling example of why religious influence over our schools should be ended forthwith then this is it. This was a cynical and unacceptable exploitation of children for the furtherance of a political campaign. Imagine the outrage we would be experiencing had it been pro-choice information which had been distributed?

Heard Patsy McGarry talking about this on the radio today. Can the chairman of the BOM over rule a principal on a matter like this or would the principal have had to agree to it? Apparently some teachers refused to hand out the flyers.

I think Shaw was Mullen's replacement spokesman for Connell.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel View Post
    Heard Patsy McGarry talking about this on the radio today. Can the chairman of the BOM over rule a principal on a matter like this or would the principal have had to agree to it? Apparently some teachers refused to hand out the flyers.

I think Shaw was Mullen's replacement spokesman for Connell.
    He was indeed and it would seem they are cut from the same cloth. I'm sure it will excused as being a promotion of the catholic ethos at the school or some such nonsense rather than the utterly inappropriate and unacceptable action that it was.
    Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a catholic school and they should all toe the line.

Only kidding Well out of order.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I noticed something interesting in this case- firstly the chairman of the school board decided it appears to put partisan political leaflets in the school bags of primary school pupils as young as five years of age on an issue which is more properly confined to adults for many good reasons.

Secondly the head teacher of this school appeared to be complicit in this act instead of doing the sensible thing and refusing to do this.

Third, the head teacher involved was 'unavailable' to a meeting with parents over this issue.

Fourth, she is also unavailable, it appears, to answer questions generally about this unbelievably stupid act by supposed adults in charge of a school.

It goes without saying that this chairman of the school board should resign immediately and I would say that the Dept of Education should be making sure that that head teacher makes herself 'available' again to discuss this matter with parents at the school and to give assurances that no such event will ever be countenanced again.

This is extraordinary stuff. I'm led to believe that the only response from this insufferable idiot of a chairman of the school board was that the leaflets should have been placed in an envelope, perhaps, and THEN put in the children's schoolbags.

This fool should be hauled out of that role in no uncertain terms and without further messing about.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Omg.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well Ruiarí will have fun with this.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    I noticed something interesting in this case- firstly the chairman of the school board decided it appears to put partisan political leaflets in the school bags of primary school pupils as young as five years of age on an issue which is more properly confined to adults for many good reasons.

Secondly the head teacher of this school appeared to be complicit in this act instead of doing the sensible thing and refusing to do this.

Third, the head teacher involved was 'unavailable' to a meeting with parents over this issue.

Fourth, she is also unavailable, it appears, to answer questions generally about this unbelievably stupid act by supposed adults in charge of a school.

It goes without saying that this chairman of the school board should resign immediately and I would say that the Dept of Education should be making sure that that head teacher makes herself 'available' again to discuss this matter with parents at the school and to give assurances that no such event will ever be countenanced again.

This is extraordinary stuff. I'm led to believe that the only response from this insufferable idiot of a chairman of the school board was that the leaflets should have been placed in an envelope, perhaps, and THEN put in the children's schoolbags.

This fool should be hauled out of that role in no uncertain terms and without further messing about.

Perhaps the school should close down, and they can build a church on the land?

D

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Anger over

Out of line, but its a matter for the school itself, no need for any state meddling.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There was a woman today on 96fm complaining that newspapers in shops should be placed out of sight from children.

I dunno what that little anecdote has to do with this thread other than mollycoddling should be avoided.

But in this case, what a loon. Why feel the need to convince kids? Will the adults not listen.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Page 1 of 73 123451151 ... LastLast