Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesco blame falling Irish sales on the property tax!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Tesco blame falling Irish sales on the property tax!

It seems as though "Treasure Island/Ireland" is not quite as lucrative as it once was for Tesco.

Tesco blames property tax for fall in Irish sales · Business ETC

They are blaming the property tax for a “significant reduction in consumer sentiment and spending” in this country. Well Tesco, perhaps you could reverse this process by lowering your prices somewhat. It is well within your power.

There are contributors here who state that for supermarket prices to fall there must be a reduction in the spending power, i.e. the wages, of their customer base. Well, for a large number of people, incomes have been on the decline since 2008, yet apart from a period of deflation in 2010, supermarket prices have gone on rising. The effects of (alleged) cartelisation in the supermarket sector may outweigh the effects of falling incomes. After all, people still have to eat regardless of their income.

So, is there a significant portion of the population who "haven't taken a hit" who are keeping supermarket revenues buoyant and prices on the rise? Or is there an effective cartel among the major supermarkets keeping prices artificially high in this country? I refer in particular to the annoying gimmick of "price matching" with their competitors in Ireland, rather than trying to undercut their competitors prices.

Or are Tesco underplaying the effect of the horse DNA scandal?
    Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
    Those who can't do either, are Sindo columnists.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tescos should be looking over their shoulders at Aldi and Lidl for the reason for their drop in sales. Rarely shop in Tescos anymore myself.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlin3 View Post
    Tescos should be looking over their shoulders at Aldi and Lidl for the reason for their drop in sales. Rarely shop in Tescos anymore myself.
    Me neither, in fact I never do,

Hey Tesco, is the Irish Property Tax hurting UK sales too,

@BBCBreaking: Supermarket giant #Tesco reports fall in UK sales over past three months BBC News - Tesco reports fall in UK sales

Lol

Lidl products are much tastier, much better value!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyone who buys foreign goods in multinational supermarket chains forfeits the right to complain about unemployment, emigration, cutbacks and tax rises. Discuss.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If people have less money they spend less it's hardly rocket science. The days of spending on credit card must also have dropped here.

The horse meat scandal may have affected sales of processed food and burgers but that wouldn't prevent people shopping in one store more than another since every supermarket and all the big brands were involved.

I have stopped buying processed food for the time being but when/if I do buy again, and I was never much of a consumer, it's more likely to be at a big store like Tesco than smaller ostensibly cheaper stores who may pay less attention to checks and balances.
    Its Up to ME

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The household charge last year was €100. The average property tax this year is €150.

Across 1.7 million households that is an increase of around €85 million. We spend around €7.5 billion a year on food (excluding eating out), around €3 billion on clothes, around €2 billion on non-durable household goods, €6 billion on alcohol, €2 billion on cigarettes.

The property tax increase is equal to 0.4% of that expenditure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is horseshíte....

The reason Tesco's sales are down is due to people no longer shopping there after horse meat was found in their products....

It will take them quite a while to regain a lot of them if ever. The Aldi / Lidl angle is no doubt also having an effect too....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlin3 View Post
    Looking at my shopping bills for Aldi & Lidl, they also seem to be on the increase big time. They are still cheaper than Tesco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's just a commentary about current disposable income. On Tesco itself I go there one week out of 4 or 5 or when I get my Clubcard points. I've also found myself returning to Dunnes recently as well. There's something about those soulless sheds that Tesco builds that is increasingly unattractive. I find that Lidl/Aldi and supporting some of my local shops addresses the majority of my food needs.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    Anyone who buys foreign goods in multinational supermarket chains forfeits the right to complain about unemployment, emigration, cutbacks and tax rises. Discuss.
    What about foreign goods in an Irish supermarket.... would that be alright ?

Or Irish goods in a foreign MNC supermarket.... would that be alright ?

Things aren't that simple....

Can you imagine what we'd be paying for groceries here if Aldi / Lidl hadn't set up here.... ? We'd still be getting fleeced by our fine local businesses....

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast