Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Gender-based Nightclub Prices be Stopped?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Should Gender-based Nightclub Prices be Stopped?

We have all seen it. Nightclubs charging different prices for males and females including half price offers for females. In light of the change in rules regarding car insurance prices, is it time nightclubs be forced to accept gender equality rules? The fact is, there is often a higher barrier to entry for males based purely on gender. Had the shoe been on the other foot....
    What say the board?

Rus
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

And if it IS ok, can clubs extend such a pricing structure to other stratifications i.e orientation/colour etc?

I'm only allowed to let in five percent black people. He said that, that means if there's 25 people here I get to let in one and a quarter black people. So I gotta hope there's a black midget in the crowd.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Dylan2010

I dont see a problem, they are a private businesses trying to make a profit by having a particular image and ambiance, Abercrombie for instance dont want fat people on their premises because they see is as bad for their image. Hardly a courts issue

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Such discrimination is a relic of patriarchy and possibly illegal.
    Save the 27th

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    I dont see a problem, they are a private businesses trying to make a profit by having a particular image and ambiance, Abercrombie for instance dont want fat people on their premises because they see is as bad for their image. Hardly a courts issue
    There is no legal obligation for Abercrombie to provide products for all sizes. In the nightclub, they are placing barriers to entry which is considered illegal by equality legislation.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's probably as illegal (equal status act) as hairdressers charging women more than men.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

R u serious?
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    It's probably as illegal (equal status act) as hairdressers charging women more than men.
    Those are different services though. It takes in general longer to cut/colour a woman's hair to a man's. If you're a guy with 4 foot long hair and want it coloured you can expect to pay out as well.

I'm no expert on the laws around drinks licences, but I'd imagine that there would be some joy going to court citing some of the regulations there. I'm pretty sure travellers have done it in the past.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    There is no legal obligation for Abercrombie to provide products for all sizes. In the nightclub, they are placing barriers to entry which is considered illegal by equality legislation.
    I dont care if they are breaking the law or not, its a dumb law if a business isnt allowed to maintain a particular image as they see.

that would be more silly , how many women ask for a No 2 sides and back

Politics.ie Member Norman Bates's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe they are not discriminating on gender grounds. Maybe they allow women in at a cheaper rate because they have a handbag, and will dance around it. It is a nightclub after all - a modern name for a dance hall. Why not bring a handbag with you the next time and see if you qualify for a cheaper rate? Or go in drag? Some people, they'd live in your ear and use the the wax, etc, etc, etc ...

Next week I can see the Sunday headlines. Rus in drag causes consternation ....

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast