Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Public vs Private...now Elderly vs Younger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Public vs Private...now Elderly vs Younger

Over the last few years there has been a lot of Public Sector bashing and the Public Sector defending themselves to the Private sector. We've all seen and heard numerous debates on this topic.

I was watching Primetime and I was a little bit uncomfortable with the direction of the debate regarding whether the older generation can give back and take more of a share of the losses incurred by the younger generation. I can see the older generations points regarding the amount of paye, prsi and mortgage interest rates they paid back in the day. How could you not understand their frustration regarding this debate? HOWEVER put those same people in the younger equivalent today and I wonder would they see it as fair.

The older person had job security with a large majority of jobs being unionized which brought with it many employee perks and benefits. His equivalent today is probably not in unionized employment and doesn't see the same perks and benefits that the older person did.

The older person had defined benefits pensions and the younger persons pension is practically non existent.
    The older person probably paid 3,000 for their house and the younger equivalent paid 300,000.

The fact of the matter is this really. The older generation of politicians and bankers stole from the next generation and the younger people want some of it back but not in the way Primetime is suggesting but maybe in a multigenerational emergency fund if you will, to pay for the mistakes of the last generation.

That's my cut on it anyway.

Did you watch Primetime? and what are your views on this?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Didn't watch it but my parents generation benefited the most from the boom at the expense of mine.

Any of their generation who didn't were either bums or got way way too greedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No matter what battle is put up, private v public, old v young etc, it makes no real difference to the overall situation. The division is between those who have and those who have not. At this stage it is survival of the fittest.

I caught a piece of the PT last night and heard one panelist speak of the 'unmentionable' ie the cutting of social welfare. What worries me is that there are a lot of them out there and would if organised be a Force (capital F) to be reckoned with. The main job for them is survival and putting bread on the table. This goes for the architect as well as the brickie.

We are allowing the government to ruin this country again, financial first and now socially. The structure of our society as it stands now is changing so fast and the problems are so serious and growing that it will take decades to fix anything. We are standing by and watching the end of what was and entering a time of violence, depression and social breakdown. And no one is shouting stop.

On another point on PT the clip of David McWilliams in 2007 telling us what will happen in 2013 was scary. We are where we are God help us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    Didn't watch it but my parents generation benefited the most from the boom at the expense of mine.

Any of their generation who didn't were either bums or got way way too greedy.
    Sonny, you got your fancy education, had your holidays, were lacking for nothing because your parents were robbing your future. Is that it? You got the benefit of everything your parents had, whether they worked their butts off for it or won the lotto or whatever. I suggest you get yourself a job and start paying your way.You can ruminate on why they did this disgraceful thing to you while you are sweating at your workplace...

Now I'm off to SKI.

Spend the
    Kids
    Inheritance

Ungrateful wasters.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the old age pension increased by over 125% between 1997 to 2009, that was nearly 3 times the rate of inflation for that period. The oap is another sacred cow that needs to be cut to €180 per week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devoutcapitalist View Post
    the old age pension increased by over 125% between 1997 to 2009, that was nearly 3 times the rate of inflation for that period. The oap is another sacred cow that needs to be cut to €180 per week.
    You will of course give us some data on the various welfare increases and how much should be cut from each. There are some very sacred cows who never worked a day in their lives who enjoy the benefits of an entitlement to allowances they never earned!

Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RTE implementing the governments divide and conquer strategy. God darn those old people enjoying their retirement, how dare they.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When ps workers point out the divide and conquer strategy we're accused of paranoia.

So, you're paranoid op.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greengoose2 View Post
    You will of course give us some data on the various welfare increases and how much should be cut from each. There are some very sacred cows who never worked a day in their lives who enjoy the benefits of an entitlement to allowances they never earned!

Enda did work. Just not in the classroom for more than a couple of the thirty five years his pension credits him with...; )
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

EVERYBODY MAKE SURE TO TYPE WITH 'CAPS LOCK' ON; THERE MIGHT BE ELDERLY PEOPLE READING THIS AND WE NEED TO HELP THEM AS BEST WE CAN.

THANKS.

I have no money, but I love my life.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast