Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage a step closer in the UK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Gay Marriage a step closer in the UK

BBC News - Gay marriage bill: Peers back government plans

Good news from the house of Lords where there has been a substantial majority, after two days of debate, in favour of the government's plans to allow gay marriage, possibly starting as soon as next summer.

The bill would allow couples, who can currently form civil partnerships, to marry.

If it passes into law, religious organisations would have to "opt in" if they wished to offer gay weddings, except the Church of England and Church in Wales, which would be banned in law from doing so.
    I'm not sure why the C of E and Church in Wales are going to be banned, any input welcomed, but it is at least progress towards a fairer society. Similar legislation is expected from Scotland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post

Good news from the house of Lords where there has been a substantial majority, after two days of debate, in favour of the government's plans to allow gay marriage, possibly starting as soon as next summer.

I'm not sure why the C of E and Church in Wales are going to be banned, any input welcomed, but it is at least progress towards a fairer society. Similar legislation is expected from Scotland.
    Assuming it's because they have a constitional role, then fair enough. I don't believe that any independant Church should be forced to do anything they don't want to, but the CoE is not independant.

They're being banned as a way to preempt any legal difficulties arising from the fact that those churches are established. They will be permitted to conduct same-sex marriages if they want to change their policies at some point in the future.
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member Happytolearn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great news ! Next stop civil marriage. I'd be very much against any church being forced into performing ceremonies they didn't agree with. Hearts and minds need winning over on that score.
    I'm a better man now than I was that day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another gay marriage thread...et tu, Cruimhe?

(Great fecking news BTW!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Happytolearn View Post
    Great news ! Next stop civil marriage. I'd be very much against any church being forced into performing ceremonies they didn't agree with. Hearts and minds need winning over on that score.
    I think it was clever to have it so that Churches have to choose to opt in - so they cannot say they are being forced ......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it was clever to have it so that Churches have to choose to opt in - so they cannot say they are being forced ......

Agreed - and I'm hopeful we'll be pleasantly surprised at how many churches opt in. The quakers have already said they'll be performing gay ceremonies - presumably in addition to making delicious and nutritious breakfast products.

Politics.ie Member Darren J. Prior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't want to dash on your parade and I know people in favour of gay marriage are generally only thinking about getting married to their partners but many people (yes only more conscientious people i.e. not most people) are mostly like me in favour of gay marriage but not in favour of gay couples or other undesireable sexually or otherwise couples being able to adopt kids. Sin é. I hope gay marriage comes into Ireland but with this one exception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Happytolearn View Post
    Agreed - and I'm hopeful we'll be pleasantly surprised at how many churches opt in. The quakers have already said they'll be performing gay ceremonies - presumably in addition to making delicious and nutritious breakfast products.
    +1
    Not to mention tasty confectionary and chocolate.
    Even Educated Fleas Do It...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Casablanca View Post
    +1
    Not to mention tasty confectionary and chocolate.
    mmmmmmmm….
    [

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast