Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel's creepy Christian friends

lochlannach

Default Israel's creepy Christian friends

So the Christian right in the USA (and other countries) are strong supporters of Israel. But how many Israelis understand the motivation behind that support?

Many of these fundamentalists believe literally in the Armageddon when in the Last Days of Tribulation, Jews will be offered the chance to convert to Christianity and accept Jesus Christ as the Messiah. If they refuse, they will be annihilated. A prerequisite for this is the ingathering of all Jews into Israel to facilitate this outcome.

What could be more anti-Semitic? In the past, American Christian fundamentalists were vehemently anti-Jewish. They haven't really changed their spots and I wonder how many Jews and Israelis realise this?

The Unannounced Reason Behind American Fundamentalism's Support for the State of Israel
    Noam Chomsky Says Christian Right Supports Israel Because They Are Anti-Semitic and Want the Jewish Population to Be Exterminated by Armageddon | Video | TheBlaze.com

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I've met some of these so-called Christians in the past.

The ones I've met are American Evangelical Christians who invariably read the Bible in a literal sense especially the Book of Revelation.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sure they know but Christian Evangelicals are powerful allies of Israel in the US. Even more fanatical than some Zionist organisations.

Pat Robertson remarked that Ariel Sharon had been put into a coma for the grave sin of abandoning Gaza. Evangelicals believe Israel should have every inch of the former Palestine with no quarter to the Arabs.

Former GOP House leaders Tom DeLay and Dick Armey, who both had close links to the Christian Right were hardline Israel supporters with the latter advocating that the West Bank be ethnically cleansed of Palestinians. Tom DeLay spoke about standing on the West Bank and "seeing no occupied territory".
    "I only saw Israel" he said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as I know, it was an Anglo-Irish clergyman who started up that strand of theology. Known as "dispensationalism"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Nelson_Darby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And the days Israel thread is off at last. How did we get to 5.18pm without one?
    Standards are dropping big time.

(Not too impressed with the lack of Alan Shatter reference in the OP but no doubt he'll appear soon).
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    And the days Israel thread is off at last. How did we get to 5.18pm without one?

(Not too impressed with the lack of Alan Shatter reference in the OP but no doubt he'll appear soon).
    What was yesterdays Israeli thread or even the day before?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinemartin View Post
    What was yesterdays Israeli thread or even the day before?

Seriously? I could'nt be bothered looking. Jews stealing Arabs bikes or sometime probably. Who cares?

We have this one now so lets not dwell on the past. Just be grateful for what we have.
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    I've met some of these so-called Christians in the past.

The ones I've met are American Evangelical Christians who invariably read the Bible in a literal sense especially the Book of Revelation.
    It is a concern of mine too that even in some Catholic 'intellectual' circles there is an undercurrent of neo conservatism simplified in Israel good, Palestine bad, every bit as narrow as the consensus on the left, Palestine good Israel bad. George Weigel for example, who is a very good Catholic apologist, too often strays into only pro Israeli polemics. This may be the case too with some in Ireland, though presently it is only a suspicion and not too well founded.

lochlannach

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post

It's hidden in there like in a word search puzzle.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

" I'll take 'em.! "

Reputedly Bibi's response to a warning about the nature of the evangelicals attachment to Israel.

Imagine Jews not knowing what xtians of whatever stripe think of them.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast