Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Enda Kenny to Replace Seanad With His Own Boys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Enda Kenny to Replace Seanad With His Own Boys?

The Independent reported over the weekend that Enda would like to replace the Seanad with a committee appointed by his good self to scrutinise legislation.

A "mini-Seanad with outside experts" whose members would be appointed by An Taoiseach. Apparently Labour TD's are not as enthused at this suggestion.

This committee, as proposed, would be part of the Houses of the Oireachtas, but would have its own designated staff, separate to the rest of the committees.

Chuckle, welcome chaps to FG's New Politics. What ya all think?

Labour revolt at plan to replace Seanad with 'Enda's buddies' - Independent.ie

The Old Woman started the first thread on this. If this too gets sent to the zoo perhaps a mod could merge? Or if the first thread is freed from the zoo, please merge this one with the first thread.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A nervous forum looked towards Sync........like a prostrate gladiator on the arena floor....waiting to see if the Emperor's thumb turned up for survival, or down......to be zooed...(it's at this point the simile breaks down)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A united revolt of Labour TDs and senators took place against what was scathingly dismissed as "Enda's bloody stupid idea'' at last week's parliamentary party meeting
    Pretty much sums it up.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Enda has no intention of getting rid if Seanad Éireann. He suggests abolishing it with something worse. No matter what happens Inda wins. Jobs for the boys no matter what the vote.
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another thread on Enda Kenny from the resident P.ie spokesperson for the Green Party! Obsessed much!
    FF said hello and welcome to the IMF. FG said goodbye.

Hey O.P., how else would you suggest that a small body of experts might be selected or appointed? Do we need an election for everything is this country?

If you don't like what the Taoiseach is suggesting then simply vote NO to abolition.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fortune View Post
    Hey O.P., how else would you suggest that a small body of experts might be selected or appointed? Do we need an election for everything is this country?

If you don't like what the Taoiseach is suggesting then simply vote NO to abolition.
    The OP is looking for the return of Dan Boyle and John Gormley! Then we can be all saved!
    FF said hello and welcome to the IMF. FG said goodbye.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doubt if it will be Enda picking this crew, he won't be Taoseach after next election

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not even Bertie Ahern attempted something as brazen as this.

Enda hasn't got it in him. . . . In the same way he hasn't got it in him to sack Shatter or Reilly.

I'd say he's under pressure from various Senators (and the Labour Party) to keep the Senate entirely and now that he's committed himself to a referendum he has to try and come up with a solution so that he can have the best of both worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    Enda has no intention of getting rid if Seanad Éireann. He suggests abolishing it with something worse. No matter what happens Inda wins. Jobs for the boys no matter what the vote.
    I think he'd every intention of getting rid of the Seanad. And perhaps is a little concerned now that the people may not share his view.

I know I two years ago would have voted for it's abolition and have changed my mind viewing reform as a better option.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast