Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Máirtín Ó Millionaire becomes Belfast's latest mayor.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Máirtín Ó Millionaire becomes Belfast's latest mayor.

After the relative successes of the youthful Niall Ó Donnghaile and Gavin Robinson, it's back to the grey haired blasts from the past, in the shape of managing director of Belfast Media Group and publisher of the US-based Irish Echo, Mairtin O'Muilleoir. He served in the council from 1987 to 1997 and even wrote a book about his experiences in the chamber, which I incidentally would recommend, regardless of political affiliation. O'Muilleoir is taking a break from his extensive business interests for the year to concentrate on Belfast's business interests. He is a Sinn Féin councillor for the Balmoral area of South Belfast.

'In the year ahead I want the help of all our citizens to make Belfast better. My theme for my year in office will be building the future Belfast together. First and foremost, that means building the peace and working hard to bring our sometimes divided people together. It also means striving to create jobs and doing all I can to help put the city's economy back on track'.

His right hand man, Alderman Christopher Stalford of the DUP was also elected as the deputy Lord Mayor at Monday's annual general meeting of Belfast City Council. He is an Orangeman and DUP Councillor for Laganbank. He also has a face like a well-scalped arse.

Here's the Belfast mayor's book about the mad goings-on in Belfast city hall a couple of decades ago.
    Belfasts Dome of Delight: City Hall Politics, 1981-2000: Mairtin O Muilleoir, Tom Hayden: 9781900960083: Amazon.com: Books

'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Martin's comments(on UTV Live at 10-30 last night), that the Spad Bill was "not a victory for unionists,but a victory for victims",should go down well with the faithful on here.

http://www.u.tv/utvplayer/video/151858/126247
    Last edited by DT123; 4th June 2013 at 09:23 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Will Christopher be asking Mairtin O'Muilleoir how many protestants his Belfast Media Group employ? petunia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did he say he supports the SpAd bill DT!?!

Gavin Robinson was an excellent Lord Mayor, fair play for stepping up at his age. Martin looks promising, and hopefully does a better job than his SF predecessor.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post

Gavin Robinson was an excellent Lord Mayor, fair play for stepping up at his age. Martin looks promising, and hopefully does a better job than his SF predecessor.
    He was fine, still questions surrounding his fundamental religious views and how they affected his policies and stances on certain issues.
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post

Paul Clarke asks him what he thinks of the "unionist victory" with regard to the Spad bill.Martin replies that it wasn't a victory for unionists,but a "victory for victims". It's in the link.

Lucky man if he keeps his knees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While I don't really like SF, the guy seems refreshing and honest. Good luck to him, if he can help bring jobs back to Belfast then all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    After the relative successes of the youthful Niall Ó Donnghaile and Gavin Robinson, it's back to the grey haired blasts from the past, in the shape of managing director of Belfast Media Group and publisher of the US-based Irish Echo, Mairtin O'Muilleoir. He served in the council from 1987 to 1997 and even wrote a book about his experiences in the chamber, which I incidentally would recommend, regardless of political affiliation. O'Muilleoir is taking a break from his extensive business interests for the year to concentrate on Belfast's business interests. He is a Sinn Féin councillor for the Balmoral area of South Belfast.

'In the year ahead I want the help of all our citizens to make Belfast better. My theme for my year in office will be building the future Belfast together. First and foremost, that means building the peace and working hard to bring our sometimes divided people together. It also means striving to create jobs and doing all I can to help put the city's economy back on track'.

His right hand man, Alderman Christopher Stalford of the DUP was also elected as the deputy Lord Mayor at Monday's annual general meeting of Belfast City Council. He is an Orangeman and DUP Councillor for Laganbank. He also has a face like a well-scalped arse.

Here's the Belfast mayor's book about the mad goings-on in Belfast city hall a couple of decades ago.
    Belfasts Dome of Delight: City Hall Politics, 1981-2000: Mairtin O Muilleoir, Tom Hayden: 9781900960083: Amazon.com: Books

Looks like bitter orange there

1987: RUC physically remove Máirtín Ó Muilleoir from Belfast City Hall for speaking Irish

2013: Máirtín Ó Muilleoir is Mayor of Belfast

Comhghairdeas agus ádh mór Máirtín

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That DUP boy is good at what he does, he could well end up at the assembly soon.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He should have a good look around the mayors office for that elusive fleg.....It got to be somewhere!
    IRELAND FIRST

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast