Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a southern irish accent cause difficulties when living in Northern Ireland ?

Default Can a southern irish accent cause difficulties when living in Northern Ireland ?

We now notice many northern accents of people who live and work in the republic. These can be from people of any creed. Because its close to a 50-50 scenario, they can easily pass for whatever religion they please. Welcome in peace and long may it continue.
    But, a question arises. A person from the republic ( which is predominantly Catholic) can peacefully coexist in the North ? or not ? What about in a Nationalist neighbourhood ? or in a Loyalist neighbourhood ? Are there any statistics on those who grew up outside of Northern Ireland and now live there ? Be they from the British mainland or the Republic.
    Please keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.
    Do accents matter? - Telegraph
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No, youse can always point at things...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Move to Fermanagh and no one will notice.

If you are working and mixing in middle class circles ,I don't forsee anything beyond the normal banter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DT123 View Post

If you are working and mixing in middle class circles ,I don't forsee anything beyond the normal banter.
    Oi!! feck you siiiir...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    We now notice many northern accents of people who live and work in the republic. These can be from people of any creed. Because its close to a 50-50 scenario, they can easily pass for whatever religion they please. Welcome in peace and long may it continue.
    But, a question arises. A person from the republic ( which is predominantly Catholic) can peacefully coexist in the North ? or not ? What about in a Nationalist neighbourhood ? or in a Loyalist neighbourhood ? Are there any statistics on those who grew up outside of Northern Ireland and now live there ? Be they from the British mainland or the Republic.
    Please keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.
    Do accents matter? - Telegraph
    Obviously in any Nationalist area you'd be sweet, in some strongly Loyalist areas it might be a bit dodge, in most mixed/non-strongly Loyalist areas you should also be sweet.

You might be better getting this moved to the NI forum at some point to get more responses.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DT123 View Post
    True, Fermanagh is no different than Leitrim or Donegal.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Of Newgrange View Post
    But, a question arises. A person from the republic ( which is predominantly Catholic) can peacefully coexist in the North ? or not ? What about in a Nationalist neighbourhood ? or in a Loyalist neighbourhood ?
    Quote Originally Posted by InsideImDancing View Post
    in some strongly Loyalist areas it might be a bit dodge,
    I doubt you'd have any problem these days to be honest, and I say that as someone from a Unionist/Loyalist stronghold.

You might have run into bother 20 or 25 years ago but I doubt anyone would give you a sideways look these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtBilko View Post
    I doubt you'd have any problem these days to be honest, and I say that as someone from a Unionist/Loyalist stronghold.

You might have run into bother 20 or 25 years ago but I doubt anyone would give you a sideways look these days.
    Fair enough mate, it's not really for me to say anyway as I obviously wouldn't know the score in those areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you move into Glenshane's area you might need to watch your back!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Tbh moi don't think you would get treated any better or worse than any other foreigner...

Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast