Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Pay Mobile Phones - Issues Ahead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bill Pay Mobile Phones - Issues Ahead

There's a problem coming down the line, just wondering if people are having or seeing the same issues I've had.

First.

Independent phone retailers don't exist any more apart from Carphone Warehouse. Other than that, we just have the ubiquitous host shops of the indigenous service providers. What's more, the providers are actively encouraging people to buy online. This makes rational sense, what is the point in having expensive retail outlets and expensive staff when you can sell online with far greater profit margins? In addition, people don't trust the providers on giving expert opinions on phones, so you can make the right decision based on reviews on sites where the expertise lies.

Second.

The reason why the independents have gone out of business is down to online traffic including being isolated by the service providers that have completely changed their modus operandi. Partly, this is down to a lack of sweetheart deals from the phone manufacturers, but mostly this is down to a change in perspective on how to maximise their profits. Before, the industry standard was that you could change your network provider - depending on the size of your business of course - and get the top rated phones for free for you and your employees as long as you sign up for a year. This has changed in the last 18 months. Now you are limited on the phones that you get for free, and typically it will be last year's flagship models, but more importantly, the operators now want to tie you to 18 or 24 month contact.

Third.

This is where the problem actually is. Mobile phones are not built to last 2 years. Why should they? As a rule of the thumb, the phones are updated once or twice a year and the peer pressure is always to change your phone to the latest offering. It's possible that the old phone will be passed on to another party but there is no guarantee with this, so we don't have a decent picture of how well these phones perform. All I can say is that in recent experience, I've had serious issues with business phones at work lagging, crashing, or having a issues completing basic tasks such as taking and making phone calls.

Anybody else seeing this?
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try and live a few weeks without a phone ,its good for the mind try it.

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    Try and live a few weeks without a phone ,its good for the mind try it.
    Have to agree, Went on hols recently my phone didn't work, at first panic stations and then hey I can survive without it and enjoyed it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nokia 6310i

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by Malbekh View Post

Third.

This is where the problem actually is. Mobile phones are not built to last 2 years. Why should they? As a rule of the thumb, the phones are updated once or twice a year and the peer pressure is always to change your phone to the latest offering. It's possible that the old phone will be passed on to another party but there is no guarantee with this, so we don't have a decent picture of how well these phones perform. All I can say is that in recent experience, I've had serious issues with business phones at work lagging, crashing, or having a issues completing basic tasks such as taking and making phone calls.

Anybody else seeing this?
    Well as have have 3 phones in 12 years and figuring on not replacing for least 2 years then must just be lucky.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So-called smart phones are in fact small computers, which means they do general computery things quite well, but in many ways they are inferior actual phones compared to what we had in the past. This is particularly true for Android phones which can be very frustrating to use.

I don't get the two year thing though. The products might well be getting updated faster than that. But, individual units should last two to three at least. Battery life is probably the main problem, since smart phones use so much power.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps I missed the point of this thread, Issues ahead?

What Issues?

As for my phone I use it more for text, email and online browsing, with the occasion watch of a video and video calls.

Phone Calls are one of the few things I use it for these days.

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPN View Post
    Nokia 6310i

The greatest phone I ever owned. Bombproof.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't be a drone and prisoner any more, one of my ambitions in life is to find a way to get rid of my phone, email, wristwatch / clocks.

Set yourself free.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 3rd June 2013 at 12:18 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerubbabel View Post
    Don't be a drone and prisoner any more, one of my ambitions in life is to find a way to get rid of my phone, email, wristwatch / clocks.

Set yourself free.
    No job?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast