Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quiet Suburbia, small kids at play, and idiots driving at a 100km's per hour

Default Quiet Suburbia, small kids at play, and idiots driving at a 100km's per hour

Does anybody else get irked by the speed many drivers travel through quiet estates when there are, clearly, large numbers of kids playing all about the vicinity ? Often the speeders actually live in the neighbourhood themselves. Having spoken with a number of people, this seems to be rife throughout the country.
    Meanwhile the Gardaí seem to have most of their speed-traps on the kind of busy roads that never have kids playing nearby. Is it possible that the Gardaí are inadvertently saving the lives of more drivers than pedestrians in their battle against speeding.
    So, thoughts, observations, opinions. Please keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.

Stopping Distances : Pedestrian Injury Simulator
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ramps =the only answer.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps harsher fines and penalty points for areas deemed to be high risk. So schools and estates etc.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why are small kids playing on the roads?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Couldn't agree more with the OP ! You have to wonder with the type of moron who drives like this. I live on a boreen in Kerry here and risk life and limb sometimes just walking out the gateway as on occasions some retard flies past despite the fact there are numerous drives , kids playing , cyclists etc.
    What doesn't help is that there are bloody signs telling said morons they can legally drive at 80 kph down these lanes despite Varadker dec,airing over two years ago the speed limits would be sorted out .....typical Ireland ....nothing happened !

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    Why are small kids playing on the roads?
    because the roads are beside the playground/green/park whatever. When chasing a stray football or playing a game on bicycles the kids are largely oblivious to much else.
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As most of the above....i live in an area that has become a 'rat run' in the last 10 years and we have ramps....no deterrent it seems... some people don't care about their cars and hitting ramps at high speed...

Some of the worst offenders i've witnessed are women with kids in the car especially in the mornings coming close to opening time for the schools....

I reckon average speed area's like they have in the UK would put a stop to some of this nonsense........
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    Ramps =the only answer.
    I agree but they are woefully expensive, over priced and a rip off. The last time our residents committee looked into it, each ramp was going to cost 10grand and planning permission etc. I'd be just as happy to lay some concrete in a proper way, or get the Tarmac myself but the local council would on us like a flash even if the purpose was health and safety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What I find strange is the demographic of the people I see speeding in these built-up areas. You expect them to be 20-something boy-racers, but the majority I see are middle-aged men and young women.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Perhaps harsher fines and penalty points for areas deemed to be high risk. So schools and estates etc.
    Enforcement is the problem, or lack of it ore to the point. When was the last time you saw a checkpoint/speed camera by a school?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast