Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious fundamentalism could be treated as a mental illness in future.

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Religious fundamentalism could be treated as a mental illness in future.

Not sure if this is the right section for this. As it clearly is the first step to making religious fundementalism a mental disorder, I think it should be under health.

According to Kathleen Taylor, a biology researcher religious fundamentalism could be treated as a mental illness in future, by treating it as a form of brainwashing, which it clearly is.

Kathleen Taylor who is a research scientist working in the Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics at the University of Oxford has postulated that religious fundementalism might in the future be a curable mental disorder, by treating it as a form of brainwashing. People who are brainwashed do not actually realise they are brainwashed and will argue to the point of absurdity they have not been brainwashed.

Taylor is argueing that advances in neuroscience will one day soon allow us to directly treat people in religious cults such as Al Queda and cure them of their extremism.

I personally think that could be a great advance in medicine. A cure for religious fundementalism would go a long way to solving quite a few problems in the world.

However I can also see dangers of the 1984 type, if this type of technology as it becomes available, is not handled and regulated properly. Personally I think this has parrallels with Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

What is your opinion regarding this?

Read more at:

Brainwashing: The Science of Thought Control
    Author: Kathleen Taylor
    Publisher: OUP Oxford; New Ed edition (27 July 2006)
    ISBN-10: 0199204780
    ISBN-13: 978-0199204786

The Brain Supremacy: Notes from the frontiers of neuroscience
    Author: Kathleen Taylor
    Publisher: OUP Oxford; 1 edition (25 Oct 2012)
    ISBN-10: 0199603375
    ISBN-13: 978-0199603374

Kathleen Taylor homepage: neurotaylor | watching the world of brain research

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

The Brain Supremacy: Notes from the Frontiers of Neuroscience | KurzweilAI

Kathleen Taylor (biologist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Religious Fundamentalism 'May Be Categorised As Mental Illness & Cured By Science'

Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness

Meet the Author USA | Search for an Author | Kathleen Taylor | Brainwashing: The Science of Thought Control

Edit:

There are several books that warn about how problems of control in society can arise and there consequences.

Here are four books that I can not recommend enough to anyone to read that warn of these problems and there consequences in various ways, that have stood the test of time, in my opinion.

Nineteen Eighty-Four
    George Orwell
    ISBN-10: 0141393041
    ISBN-13: 978-0141393049

Animal Farm
    George Orwell
    ISBN-10: 014139305X
    ISBN-13: 978-0141393056

Lord of the Flies
    William Golding
    ISBN-10: 0571191479
    ISBN-13: 978-0571191475

Brave New World
    Aldous Huxley
    ISBN-10: 0099518473
    ISBN-13: 978-0099518471
    Last edited by Nemesiscorporation; 2nd June 2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: additional information

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The mental hospitals are full of people who think they are Jesus or Mohamed – a bit like the DUP and FG.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I would worry more about how fundamentalism would be defined - and mis-defined for political advantage - than about fundamentalism itself. The cure might be worse than the disease.

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I would worry more about how fundamentalism would be defined - and mis-defined for political advantage - than about fundamentalism itself. The cure might be worse than the disease.
    Al Queda, Scientology, etc.

Anyone who forces there religious views onto others.

Fanatics who believe that a woman should be left to die if she is miscarrying.

Basically fanatical behaviour.
    Last edited by Nemesiscorporation; 2nd June 2013 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    Al Queda, Scientology, etc.

Anyone who forces there religious views onto others.

Fanatics who believe that a woman should be left to die if she is miscarrying.

Basically fanatical behaviour.
    ..of which there are none...

but it didn't take long for your own fundamentalism/mental illness to surface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    ..of which there are none...

Straight in with the abuse.

How was Mass this morning?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by half nelson View Post
    snap!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about fanatical Liverpool supporters?

There's this one dude, he thinks he's a crazy horse.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Beliefs should neither be criminalised nor made the cause of mental health treatment. Where a Muslim tries to copy Muhammad's lifestyle choices (marrying the young multiple times or spreading religion by the sword) then the State should intervene. Similarity if people like the idea of a personal god and an afterlife, there's no harm to it but if they start using their religious beliefs as a reason to draft laws of general application and think this is reasonable then perhaps the HSE should be on standby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    Beliefs should neither be criminalised nor made the cause of mental health treatment. Where a Muslim tries to copy Muhammad's lifestyle choices (marrying the young multiple times or spreading religion by the sword) then the State should intervene. Similarity if people like the idea of a personal god and an afterlife, there's no harm to it but if they start using their religious beliefs as a reason to draft laws of general application and think this is reasonable then perhaps the HSE should be on standby.

So which is it?

'Beliefs should neither be criminalised nor made the cause of mental health treatment.'

'but if they start using their religious beliefs as a reason to draft laws of general application and think this is reasonable then perhaps the HSE should be on standby.'

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast