Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: French far right leader stripped of immunity by a European parliamentary committee

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default French far right leader stripped of immunity by a European parliamentary committee

Marine Le Pen, the controversial leader of France's main far right party has been stripped of the immunity from prosecution she enjoyed as a member of the European Parliament (MEP). The way is now clear for French authorities to prepare criminal charges for inciting racism against Marine Le Pen over comments made in 2010 when she compared Muslims street prayers to WW2 Nazi occupation: "For those who want to talk a lot about World War Two, if it's about occupation, then we could also talk about it (Muslim prayers in the streets), because that is occupation of territory".

I find the move strange. Firstly, the french hasn't exactly shied away from confronting Islam. The burka is of course banned and Muslim street prayer was banned in 2011 largely as a result of far right protests. Is it not then hypocritical for french authorities to bring (yet more) charges of racism against Le Pen whose party secured 18% of the vote during the last presidential election? Islam of course is not a race.

Secondly, what is the grounds for removing her immunity from prosecution? Thirdly, why do MEPs have immunity from prosecution in the first place?

However, this protection was removed by a European parliamentary committee in a secret vote this week.

BBC chief political correspondent Gary O'Donoghue says he has been told that the vote to remove her immunity was "overwhelming".

It will need to be ratified by the full parliament, but that's expected to be a formality, our correspondent says.
    BBC News - French far right leader loses immunity, faces charges

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1. Yes France is focused on perceived immigration and Islamic threats and it's been discussed and length by all sides. That doesn't given any of those sides to engage in hate speech or speech designed to incite hatred.

2. It's not a blanket immunity. It only allows for speech involving their work:
    Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) may not be granted legal immunity on opinions they express unless there is an obvious, direct link between the comments and the performance of their parliamentary duties, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled.

Under the Protocol on the Privileges and Immunities of the European Union (EU Protocol) MEPs cannot be "subject to any form of inquiry, detention or legal proceedings in respect of opinions expressed or votes cast by them in the performance of their duties".
    So this vote was simply deciding if her speech fell under the above.

3. It's required because if for instance I don't know, an EU speech on the holocaust is taking place and an Irish MEP says in the house "well actually I don't believe it happened" then they can't be prosecuted in France or Austria etc.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Trial by secret is fundamentally Un Democratic

She is being targeted for her political beliefs...

Welcome to the EDR....

I wonder if it is possible to discover which MEPS voted to target one of their own?

Especially the Irish ones?

Will SF issue a Statement condemning this Secret Trial?

Will they F.cuk!
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    1. Yes France is focused on perceived immigration and Islamic threats and it's been discussed and length by all sides. That doesn't given any of those sides to engage in hate speech or speech designed to incite hatred.

2. It's not a blanket immunity. It only allows for speech involving their work:

So this vote was simply deciding if her speech fell under the above.

3. It's required because if for instance I don't know, an EU speech on the holocaust is taking place and an Irish MEP says in the house "well actually I don't believe it happened" then they can't be prosecuted in France or Austria etc.
    Another Daft Law!
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

I certainly don't agree with what Le Pen said but bringing prosecutions against your political opponents when they have the support of one in five voters in your country could prove to be counter-productive and only serve to polarise the arguments on Islam in France further.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How is what she said considered a crime?

It's total rubbish,

I regularly compare people to the Nazi's, in fact I compared the Gardai to Hitlers Storm Troopers only yesterday on this very site,

And I a racist too?

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post

It's total rubbish,

I regularly compare people to the Nazi's, in fact I compared the Gardai to Hitlers Storm Troopers only yesterday on this very site,

And I a racist too?
    It's considered a crime because it's considered to incite hatred against Muslims, presumably.
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DimplesBro View Post
    Anti German bstard
    Giggle

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Europe does not have free speech any more. The bureaucrats have decided this no longer matters. The irony is that because Eurotrons are total mongs, they do not appreciate that any prosecution will make her only more popular and confirm that the establishment is scared of and has sold out European values to pacify Islam.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post

It's total rubbish,

And I a racist too?
    Are Gardai a race? The charges relate to her claims that the 6 million muslims in the country are "occupying" it similar to the nazis and whether or not that was designed to generate hatred towards muslims. The MEP vote doesn't offer an opinion of guilt or innocence, simply that she couldn't use her position as MEP to shield her from prosecution in France for things she said there.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast