Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Sutherland vs Crotty, Coughlan and McKenna

MrFunkyZombaloo

Default Peter Sutherland vs Crotty, Coughlan and McKenna

Yep, that's right, with European referenda coming to a ballot box near you (maybe twice if you're lucky) Peter Sutherland, former attorney general turned banker, has hit out at Irish judges regarding the Crotty, Coughlan and McKenna judgements in relation to referenda on the EU.

Sutherland criticises judges over decisions - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Sat, Jun 01, 2013

Former attorney general Peter Sutherland has criticised Irish judges in relation to a range of decisions made on EU treaty changes and the manner in which referendums are held.
    Sutherland goes on to say that the Crotty decision - of which he was most critical - has had "serious and damaging" consequences for Ireland. He describes McKenna as causing "distortions in the processes of democracy" and touches on the Coughlan decision by labelling it as an "unwarranted interference" and "quite wrong".

Crotty
    Coughlan
    McKenna

So, what say you. Do you agree with Suds; are these three decisions - which set limits on what a government can and cannot do - unwarranted interferences, serious and damaging and/or a distortion of democracy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

As judges are the last bastion of neutrality in the country - me feinism aside - no. Sutherland is a very good barrister and was a pretty good AG, but he still gets paid to be partial, and he still being paid to be partial.
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Peter is 100% right.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hate to say this, but I think suds has a point.

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From the article, he seems to be saying the decisions were extremely inconvenient, rather than wrong. I guess it may be hard to capture all the nuances of a legal argument in a newspaper article, cos that one doesn't point to one argument made against the reasoning in any case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NewGoldDream View Post
    From the article, he seems to be saying the decisions were extremely inconvenient, rather than wrong. I guess it may be hard to capture all the nuances of a legal argument in a newspaper article, cos that one doesn't point to one argument made against the reasoning in any case.
    We would really need to see the full judgements to make a solid decisions if Suds is correct or not.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thankfully the law of the land stands, ordinary peoiple accept it, The likes of Bruton,
    Shatter, Sutherland, some of the biggest fat cats we have thinks when it does not suit their agenda it is wrong.Those so called intellects are officers of the court and should accept the result of referendums and Supreme Court decisions,like the rest of us,They have the cheek
    to use democracy when it suits,The Supreme Court is our highest authority, perhaps it is too much to expect some people with inbred arrogance to fall in line with basic democracy like ordinary pleps,

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    We would really need to see the full judgements to make a solid decisions if Suds is correct or not.
    We can see the full judgements, they are in the law reports, had to pore through the Crotty one myself many years ago. What we do not know from the linked articke is what Sutherland states is specifically wrong with them, the application of the law, the reasoning, the conclusions, the logic etc. One trusts there was more to his speech than "I don't like 'em, they were wrong". Was he not effectively the advisor to the losing side in one of the decisions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NewGoldDream View Post
    We can see the full judgements, they are in the law reports, had to pore through the Crotty one myself many years ago. What we do not know from the linked articke is what Sutherland states is specifically wrong with them, the application of the law, the reasoning, the conclusions, the logic etc. One trusts there was more to his speech than "I don't like 'em, they were wrong". Was he not effectively the advisor to the losing side in one of the decisions?
    Thats the problem.

We don't have all the information.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sutherland is a Bilderberg shill.
    At some point the gloves must come off and we face our adversaries.
    We're all Rhodesians now.

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast