Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Farrell

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Brian Farrell

Brian Farrell (broadcaster) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I heard Miriam Meets last weekend with both of Brians sons talking about Brian, his life and his stories. I was saddened to hear that he is confined to a wheelchair at the moment.
    I remember growing up in the 80's watching Today Tonight, the debates between CJH and Garret etc, and it was really watching these debates that I started to get interested in politics. When Brian was on form, which was more often then not, he was an excellent interviewer and was obviously genuinely interested in any topic he covered.
    I just wanted to acknowledge Brian, and his input to Irish politics, and my life long interest in politics which can be traced back to those debates, with Brian hosting.
    It's impossible to look at a clip of Brian interviewing someone without getting that nostalgic feeling of a time that seems so far removed from where we are today.
    So, thank you Brian for all those tense moments in the 80's wondering who'd win out, and for your professionalism and insight, and to wish you all the best into the future..
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post

I heard Miriam Meets last weekend with both of Brians sons talking about Brian, his life and his stories. I was saddened to hear that he is confined to a wheelchair at the moment.
    I remember growing up in the 80's watching Today Tonight, the debates between CJH and Garret etc, and it was really watching these debates that I started to get interested in politics. When Brian was on form, which was more often then not, he was an excellent interviewer and was obviously genuinely interested in any topic he covered.
    I just wanted to acknowledge Brian, and his input to Irish politics, and my life long interest in politics which can be traced back to those debates, with Brian hosting.
    It's impossible to look at a clip of Brian interviewing someone without getting that nostalgic feeling of a time that seems so far removed from where we are today.
    So, thank you Brian for all those tense moments in the 80's wondering who'd win out, and for your professionalism and insight, and to wish you all the best into the future..
    Agree 1000%........

Politics.ie Member Upper Chamber's Avatar
    Living amongst the common people, 'The soil, the soil!'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not to mention being a great university lecturer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lying eyes View Post
    Agree 1000%........
    Brian would have hauled you up on the 1000% thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes I am of that vintage when Brian Farrell was at his height, although when you look back at his then futile attempts to attack the status quo you wonder did he restrain himself too much. That said he was an inspiration to a then college youngster. Him and Garret Fitzgerald in the early 80's did much to lurch this country out of the clutches of a feudal'church and a certain party's hegemony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Chamber View Post
    Not to mention being a great university lecturer.
    So I hear, never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I can see why he would have a fantastic lecturer..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post

enough said -excellent tribute.....can you now request thread is closed before the usual happens and ruins it!
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    enough said -excellent tribute.....can you now request thread is closed before the usual happens and ruins it!
    It is a great tribute and description. There is a certain nostalgia about Brian Farrell and Today Tonight. IT is a feature of many childhoods.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brian was a great professional, himself and Ted Nealon were a great combination, Ted should have kept away from politics itself,like David Thornley thet were better commentating on politics,Great that John Bowman is still around,
    When you see what is doing constituencies analysis today, they are not fit to lace any of their shoes.Good health to them all.
    Last edited by turdsl; 1st June 2013 at 12:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tokkie View Post
    It is a great tribute and description. There is a certain nostalgia about Brian Farrell and Today Tonight. IT is a feature of many childhoods.
    I don't think it will ever be replicated.. it was just special.. himself and Bowman.. or maybe kids growing up today think that Vinny is special.. it's hard to know, but I can remember so vividly the tension and the air of expectation of a charged Today Tonight programme.. maybe politics was just better back then

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast