Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: 31. May 1921. History repeats itself

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 31. May 1921. History repeats itself

Just an interesting entry I saw in a War of Independence timeline which I thought topical as a person has recently been charged with the Hyde Park Bombing..

31 May 1921: IRA volunteers exploded a remotely detonated mine under a British Military band at Youghal County Cork. Seven British soldiers (military bandsmen from Hampshire regiment) were killed, twenty more were wounded in the explosion.

I have to be honest. This is the first time I became aware of this particular action. Probably carried out by the East Cork units who were very effective though losing a lot of volunteers

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freewillie View Post
    Just an interesting entry I saw in a War of Independence timeline which I thought topical as a person has recently been charged with the Hyde Park Bombing..

31 May 1921: IRA volunteers exploded a remotely detonated mine under a British Military band at Youghal County Cork. Seven British soldiers (military bandsmen from Hampshire regiment) were killed, twenty more were wounded in the explosion.

I have to be honest. This is the first time I became aware of this particular action. Probably carried out by the East Cork units who were very effective though losing a lot of volunteers
    TERRORISTS!

They should have left centuries ago...
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It has aptly been referred to as the Warrenpoint of the War of Independence by a poster here. I think this is the direction the IRA would have moved in if the truce hadn't been called. I recall reading in Tim Pat Coogan's book about the IRA that a post civil war document issued by the IRA recommended the use of riflemen only to defend engineers laying such mines.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shutuplaura View Post
    It has aptly been referred to as the Warrenpoint of the War of Independence by a poster here. I think this is the direction the IRA would have moved in if the truce hadn't been called. I recall reading in Tim Pat Coogan's book about the IRA that a post civil war document issued by the IRA recommended the use of riflemen only to defend engineers laying such mines.
    Yup Frank Aiken. The use of mines and explosives was definitely where they were headed in 1921. Sean MacEoin's action at Clonfin being a case in point.

But also (ok its wikipedia, but) 2 March 1921: IRA fighters from the 2nd Cork Brigade and 2nd Kerry Brigade laid landmines near Millstreet. Thirteen British soldiers were killed and fifteen wounded when the landmines were exploded under their lorry.

Most large scale attacks in the civil war used a mine, eg 11 September 1922– A Free State column travelling from Macroom, Cork, towards towards Kerry, is attacked with a mine on a bridge at Carrigphooka, west Cork. National Army commandant Tom Keogh and eight other soldiers are killed in the blast.

What's really interesting about this is you've seen the exact same progression by guerrillas in recent years in Iraq and Afghanistan - from improvised shooting ambushes to highly prepared IED detonations. Makes perfect sense too, less risk for the guerrillas, more firepower to get past the enemy armour, needs less people to pull it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD66 View Post
    Yup Frank Aiken. The use of mines and explosives was definitely where they were headed in 1921. Sean MacEoin's action at Clonfin being a case in point.

But also (ok its wikipedia, but) 2 March 1921: IRA fighters from the 2nd Cork Brigade and 2nd Kerry Brigade laid landmines near Millstreet. Thirteen British soldiers were killed and fifteen wounded when the landmines were exploded under their lorry.

Most large scale attacks in the civil war used a mine, eg 11 September 1922– A Free State column travelling from Macroom, Cork, towards towards Kerry, is attacked with a mine on a bridge at Carrigphooka, west Cork. National Army commandant Tom Keogh and eight other soldiers are killed in the blast.

What's really interesting about this is you've seen the exact same progression by guerrillas in recent years in Iraq and Afghanistan - from improvised shooting ambushes to highly prepared IED detonations. Makes perfect sense too, less risk for the guerrillas, more firepower to get past the enemy armour, needs less people to pull it off.
    Very interesting, I didn't even know roadside bombs had seen so much use. I thought the Youghal attack was the first use of the new weapon. Again it shows the disconnect between the Munster IRA and the GHQ in Dublin. Collins suggested things had run their course. IRA leaders in Munster certainly felt that the situation wasn't as desperate as Collins made out when the Truce was signed. Evolving weapons and tactics pointed the way forward for them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know - give us some more information about the "East Cork Units" you pig plant

You do realise that the above sentence reads as though you are personally admitting to having been charged with the Hyde Park Bombing
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    You do realise that the above sentence reads as though you are personally admitting to having been charged with the Hyde Park Bombing
    Learn the uses of the interrogative pronoun, "who".

D