Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the media do the terrorist's job for them ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Does the media do the terrorist's job for them ?

Recently we've had two fairly minor terrorist attacks - 3 dead in Boston and 1 dead in London. On the scale of things these were very minor attacks and would barely add up to a Bank Holiday weekend's road traffic casualties here

Personally I think the media response to terrorist attacks has become way over hyped, Bruce Schneier, someone I've a lot of respect for thinks likewise and has rounded up some useful articles:

Schneier on Security: Are We Finally Thinking Sensibly About Terrorism?
    Yet for pretty much the first time there has been a considerable amount of media commentary seeking to put terrorism in context -- commentary that concludes, as a Doyle McManus article in the Los Angeles Times put it a day after the attack, "We’re safer than we think."
    What think ye, is the media response to Jihadist terror justified and proportionate or overdone ?

cYp
    Last edited by cyberianpan; 31st May 2013 at 05:05 PM.
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member dammit_im_mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Recently we've had two fairly minor terrorist attacks - 3 dead in Boston and 1 dead in London. On the scale of things these were very minor attacks and would barely add up to a Bank Holiday weekend's casualties here

Personally I think the media response to terrorist attacks has become way over hyped, Bruce Schneier, someone I've a lot of respect for thinks likewise and has rounded up some useful articles:

schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/05/are_we_finally.html]Schneier on Security: Are We Finally Thinking Sensibly About Terrorism?

What think ye, is the media response to Jihadist terror justified and proportionate or overdone ?

cYp

I like Bruce Schneier too. He posts an irregular newsletter which is interesting.

The fact is the "war on terror" is an excuse to pass huge amounts of taxpayers money from public to private hands, through military spending to military corporations and the likes of KBR/halliburton. It's also the excuse used to invade countries with resources, topple governments, crack down on dissent at home, increase surveillance on the streets and on the internet, and generally act as a cover for the governments waging this so called "war" to do whatever they want.

They don't actually give a toss about terrorism.

The whole thing is shown up by the way they support the Al Nusra (i.e. Al Qaeda 9\11 terrorists ) terrorists with cash, logistics and weapons in Syria, while at the same time going on about the war on terror and giving you and I the rubber glove treatment at the airport.
    Ludicrous!

And a servile media is completely on message with this whole agenda. We all know about the likes of fox et al. but even the likes of Al Jazeera is in on it. Hillary clinton now describes Al Jazeera as a great source of news. And a while back there was a spate of resignations when it emerged that the head guy was running things by the CIA for approval.
    (google it. I can't link just yet 'cos of post count)

Witness their one sided coverage of events in Libya and now Syria.

These news channels have middle america whipped up into a froth of fear, yet your house has more chances of being hit by a meteorite than being bombed by terrorists there. People are just bad at computing risk probability. And government takes full advantage of this mathematical illiteracy by leveraging their huge media propaganda machine, in order to make huge amounts of money and make idiots of us all talking up almost non existent levels of danger from terrorism. Meanwhile almost everything they do to "combat terrorism" spawns anger at america and encourages more people to actually become terrorists.

As the saying goes, "Those who trade liberty for security deserve neither"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

to address the original question:

the media doesn't do all of it, but it sure does a lot of it!!!

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I went to this thread, assuming that it was about media coverage of the Syrian Civil War.

RTE fail to mention that people who leave Ireland to get involved are actually going to kill, maim and get radicalized.

THESH!TERIMES have given abysmal coverage of both the Libyan and Syrian conflicts.

With the exception of The Observer, no UK media organ pointed out the utter stupidity of William Hague advocating less restrictions to more weaponry into the conflict.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Recently we've had two fairly minor terrorist attacks - 3 dead in Boston and 1 dead in London. On the scale of things these were very minor attacks and would barely add up to a Bank Holiday weekend's road traffic casualties here

Schneier on Security: Are We Finally Thinking Sensibly About Terrorism?

cYp
    Dont forget the recent terrorist attack in Pakistan commited by America which killed more than London & Boston combined and of course more than 100 people were killed in Iraq two weeks ago but they dont matter because they're not from the west.
    SMASH THE NAMA REPUBLIC GET OUT AND PROTEST

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inchicore_republican View Post
    Dont forget the recent terrorist attack in Pakistan commited by America which killed more than London & Boston combined and of course more than 100 people were killed in Iraq two weeks ago but they dont matter because they're not from the west.
    Vast majority of killings in Iraq are Iraqis killing other Iraqis.

I wonder how much coverage the Omagh or Enniskillen bombings got in Pakistan?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Q: do the media sensationalise news and give a hugely overblown impression of risk?

Tricky one...
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its hard to say. News of a terrorist attack will be reported every hour and half hour, because we have so many 24 hour news channels. But even before we had 24 hour news the IRA were exploding bombs in time for the main evening news.

Publicity is the life blood of terror, thats true. But the public has a right to know. Some if speculation we have seen surrounding recent events has been unhelpful, much of that and with extended coverage and analysis, has come from social media. So mainstream media is not entirely to blame.

And comparisons between road deaths and those caused in terror attacks are not valid in any way. The former are accidents, and by definition untentinal. The latter are acts of deliberate hate, and often designed to send or express a political message. That we find the presense of violence in places where we expect dialogue is shocking, but there would be something far more shockingly wrong if we did not find it alarming.

The OP might find Don De Lillo's novel Mao II (one of several in which he addresses the hold of terrorism on the public imagination) worth his time, especially this part (the speaker here is a novelist):

"Years ago I used to think it was possible for a novelist to alter the inner life of the culture. Now bomb-makers and gunmen have taken that territory. They make raids on human consciousness. What writers used to do before we were all incorporated."

Like much of DeLillo's stuff, it's a provocative & interesting statement, however ponderously expressed & far off the mark.

Elsewhere in Mao II he writes, "Stories have no point if they don't absorb our terror."

Quote Originally Posted by inchicore_republican View Post
    Sometimes the media [not Irish, stupid!] can expose former terrorists, even if for only dodgy lobbying, rather than his role in the terrorist FRU:

Patrick Mercer MP resigns over lobbying scandal - Telegraph

" The Telegraph and the BBC's Panorama have been investigating the former shadow minister over a major lobbying scandal and is poised to publish a series of revelations about Mr Mercer tomorrow.

He was yesterday asked questions over his activities and was expected to be suspended from the Parliamentary Conservative party this evening.

However, the Conservative MP for Newark is thought to have resigned the whip and is poised to make a statement.

The scandal, details of which will be exposed by The Telegraph and Panorama, involved Mr Mercer lobbying on behalf of Fiji. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast