Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Patrick Mercer, MP resigns party whip: Lobbying scandal revealed : Telegraph/C4 Panorama

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Patrick Mercer, MP resigns party whip: Lobbying scandal revealed : Telegraph/C4 Panorama

    Once again, we see how public accountability works better in Britain than here.

    Patrick Mercer MP resigns over lobbying scandal - Telegraph

    The UK media got to the root of the rot very quickly.

    Mercer has resigned from the Tories, ("did he jump or was he pushed ?").

    If this happened in Ireland,

    i) the chances of the media breaking the story would be slim - especially THESH!TERIMES, or Pravda.
    ii) he would not be under pressure to resign the party whip.
    iii) it would quickly get forgotten about.
    iv) no questions would ever be asked about what decisions were affected, and definitely no suggestions would be made about reversing such decisions.

    In addition, there is now a high probability, that other the media will dig into his previous commentary and any projects where he was involved in the UK Parlaiment.

    We can probably expect more revelations, and a complete cleanout of any scandals that has involved Mercer.
    Last edited by Analyzer; 31st May 2013 at 04:28 PM.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  2. #2

    Default

    We don't do accountability or standards in public office here. END OF.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    We don't do accountability or standards in public office here. END OF.
    Well, let's see. This is the last day of the month of May. And let's put this to the test.

    Derek Keating. Still in FG, and not getting any serious media attention. Lots of media attention at a local level. And that was about it.
    Was it even covered by Pravda ? [I don't watch Pravda - so I don't know].

    Then we had Shatter. The outburst about Wallace was undoubtedly a resignation matter. And the story provided about the breathalyzer is not one that I personally believe. And he just got endorsed by a majority of clowns in the Kildare Street circus.

    This week also seen the release of a report from Price Wanquorhouse Coopers telling us that tax is the problem, even though they earlier had a report telling us that the Pravda Levy contributed to the economy. They are still getting state contracts, despite the debacle of the bank gaurantee, and the ongoing saga with Sean Quinn (both of which, they were very heavily involved).

    There might have been more. But then very little of what happens gets reported.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member mido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Republic Of Connaught 1798
    Posts
    3,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

    There might have been more.
    there was............but the owners of this site would not thank me for posting it.
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Once again, we see how public accountability works better in Britain than here.

    Patrick Mercer MP resigns over lobbying scandal - Telegraph

    The UK media got to the root of the rot very quickly.

    Mercer has resigned from the Tories, ("did he jump or was he pushed ?").

    If this happened in Ireland,

    i) the chances of the media breaking the story would be slim - especially THESH!TERIMES, or Pravda.
    ii) he would not be under pressure to resign the party whip.
    iii) it would quickly get forgotten about.
    iv) no questions would ever be asked about what decisions were affected, and definitely no suggestions would be made about reversing such decisions.

    In addition, there is now a high probability, that other the media will dig into his previous commentary and any projects where he was involved in the UK Parlaiment.

    We can probably expect Mercer to There might be more scandals.
    They're definitely on top of it in the UK; sure didn't Peter Mandelson have to resign twice in disgrace, before he eventually became a European Commissioner and, latterly, Baron Mandelson of Foy?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    They're definitely on top of it in the UK; sure didn't Peter Mandelson have to resign twice in disgrace, before he eventually became a European Commissioner and, latterly, Baron Mandelson of Foy?
    The comparison could be made with Pee, who never had to resign from anything.

    And then when he went to Brussels, the Irish media never said anything bad about him - until he shot himself in both feet - through his own arrogance.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    The comparison could be made with Pee, who never had to resign from anything.

    And then when he went to Brussels, the Irish media never said anything bad about him - until he shot himself in both feet - through his own arrogance.
    Yet one is remembered with ridicule and the other is a baron.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Yet one is remembered with ridicule and the other is a baron.
    Actually both are remembered with ridicule.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Actually both are remembered with ridicule.
    True; I meant more in 'official' terms.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    True; I meant more in 'official' terms.
    Yeah, well Phony Tony always felt massive gratitude towards Lord Meddlesome. With Pee having appointments at Tribunals, alongside de Bert, and other members of the FForgetful party, de Bert was never able to give Pee a title.

    Let's call him "inta da pot" instead. Yeah - Pee, inta da pot.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •