Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dev's would-be High King

Default Dev's would-be High King

During the period when De Valera was drafting Bunreacht na hÉireann, he reportedly dallied with the idea of installing Leopoldo O'Donnell, the 6th Duke of Tetouan, as a constitutional monarch, the family having fled Ireland during the Flight of the Earls and occupying the office of Prime Minister of Spain during the 19th century. The pair had previously been in contact in 1922, having attended the Irish Race Conference in Paris, so though the idea seems outlandish, it may not have been completely implausible.
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FloatingVoterTralee View Post
    During the period when De Valera was drafting Bunreacht na hÉireann, he reportedly dallied with the idea of installing Leopoldo O'Donnell, the 6th Duke of Tetouan, as a constitutional monarch, the family having fled Ireland during the Flight of the Earls and occupying the office of Prime Minister of Spain during the 19th century. The pair had previously been in contact in 1922, having attended the Irish Race Conference in Paris, so though the idea seems outlandish, it may not have been completely implausible.
    I suppose when it came down to it Dev (being Dev) couldn't countenance a higher power in the land.
    Countenacing the arrangement at all raises questions about his grasp of the concept of a Republic.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sources? Academic journal articles? Who 'reportedly' said it?
    I was ready to love the world, but no one understood me, so I learned to hate.
    - Mikhail Lermontov

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Instead he made himself king..
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not so outlandish necessarily, at that period. After Finland gained independence from Russia, it was just about done deal in 1918 that Finland would become a constitutional monarchy and the king was already chosen and all talked up of a younger prince from the German House of Hessen. But after Germany lost the war he declined from coming, apparently feeling that a king from country just having lost the Great War would be a bit if a burden for a newborn country.

Germany was not at all surprising choice for a country wishing to alienate itself from Russia as far as possible. Would there have been something to be gained politically from Spain to Ireland so that especially this well-connected Duke would have seemed to be the most tenable option?

A Catholic country of the Armada fame? Silly question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

reported where? I've read a fair few books on D Va and not seen this mentioned .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is an argument for a monarch as a head of state. I don't like it but there is no denying most monarchies are very popular in their own countries. Its because there is a good argument for it that I doubt Dev even considered it.
    Its Up to ME

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    reported where? I've read a fair few books on D Va and not seen this mentioned .
    I think this is mentioned in Tim Pat Coogans book about the diaspora; What was Dev's stance toward the 1919 Dail's desire to offer kingship to The O Connor Don?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dearghoul View Post
    I think this is mentioned in Tim Pat Coogans book about the diaspora; What was Dev's stance toward the 1919 Dail's desire to offer kingship to The O Connor Don?
    Dev maintained he wasn't a doctrinaire republican.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast