Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 More Universities for Ireland?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 3 More Universities for Ireland?

There's a story in tomorrow's IT which says the DIT and two other Institutes of Technology will be converted to Universities of Technology.

No link yet, so far as I can see, but there is an image of the front page on broadsheet.ie that shows the story.

Does Ireland really need 3 more universities? We have 8 currently (or 4, depending on how you count them) for a population of 4 million. One university per 500,000 people. Seems like enough for me.

Dublin will have 4 Universities just for one city.

Instead of funding 11 universities, surely it would make more sense to fund the ones we have better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's populist vote grabbing by politicians. . . That's all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    There's a story in tomorrow's IT which says the DIT and two other Institutes of Technology will be converted to Universities of Technology.

No link yet, so far as I can see, but there is an image of the front page on broadsheet.ie that shows the story.

Does Ireland really need 3 more universities? We have 8 currently (or 4, depending on how you count them) for a population of 4 million. One university per 500,000 people. Seems like enough for me.

Instead of funding 11 universities, surely it would make more sense to fund the ones we have better.
    WIT and CIT presumably? I'm a CIT alumnus, and it doesn't deserve the status of a university - it was always nice reading in the newsletter the president's calls for the institute to be upgraded when you were sitting in a prefab.
    "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What was wrong with Regional College, or Institute of Technology ?

Why not, when they are at it, just upgrade all national schools to university status and award all those leaving sixth class with a Ph.D ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerubbabel View Post
    Why not, when they are at it, just upgrade all national schools to university status and award all those leaving sixth class with a Ph.D ?
    A perfect solution for the knowledge economy.

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post

See also here.

Techno Techno Techno

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The brits did it 20 years ago & it didn't work. They downgraded technical / vocational institutions / Polytechnics by making them "universities"
    So instead of having institutions that would create jobs through educating technically savvy people who advance learning. They have institutions that "graduate" , crap and lazy geography teachers.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good move. Stationery supplies are apparently a growth area in the economy.
    There's a method to the madness.
    I love all the different cheeses.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A member called Mercurial posted tomorrow's press release in the article entitled "University rankings show that small countries' universities can rank among the best". I'll summarise briefly: three Technological Universities to be created from the merging of three sets of Institutes of Technology. Those sets are, as follows: Dublin IT, IT Tallaght, and IT Blanchardstown; Cork IT and IT Tralee; Waterford IT and Carlow IT. There will also be "Clusters" of third level institutions to "eliminate duplication of provision" and to create "critical mass...and centres of excellence".

Nothing different from what was outlined in Hunt Report.

Doesn't it somewhat undermine DIT's one campus vision - presumably operations will continue in Blanchardstown and Tallaght under the umbrella of the Technological University

This is an interesting time for Irish education: Junior Cert being redeveloped; an evaluation of the Leaving Cert with the potential of doing likewise; likely redesign of third level undergrad admissions and the concomitant standardisinging of first year courses; institution with largest undergrad population (DIT; 22000+) moving to new campus; third level Clusters and creation of Technological Universities.
    Last edited by Mr Pseudonym; 30th May 2013 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Incorrectly refered to Technological Universities as Technical Universities

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast