Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: Iraq on the brink of civil war?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Honecker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,764
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Iraq on the brink of civil war?

    The last two months in Iraq have seen brutal sectarian violence in which almost 1000 people have been killed. Most of the violence is perpetrated by extremist Sunni militias (often made up of international jihadists) with links to Al Qaeda. The victims are usually Shi'ite Muslims who are regarded as heretics. The majority of Iraqis are Shi'ite Muslims who mainly live in the south and east of the country. This is the worst sectarian violence in Iraq since 2007 except back then American troops were able to launch a surge against the extremists and reduce tensions. What is to stop the violence this time? Iraqi civilians are being butchered and no one in the west gives a damn.

    The "War on Terror" is a sick joke. There was no Al Qaeda in Iraq before the invasion in 2003 yet now they operate with almost total impunity. In Syria the government is fighting against terrorists and William Hague wants to send guns to Al Qaeda! How many more secular governments does the west want to overthrow and allow the Wahhabists take control?


    BBC News - Iraq violence: Baghdad car bombs kill at least 66

    Iraq May death toll passes 500 | ArabNews

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Bag End, The Shire, Middle Earth
    Posts
    3,499
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    The last two months in Iraq have seen brutal sectarian violence in which almost 1000 people have been killed. Most of the violence is perpetrated by extremist Sunni militias (often made up of international jihadists) with links to Al Qaeda. The victims are usually Shi'ite Muslims who are regarded as heretics. The majority of Iraqis are Shi'ite Muslims who mainly live in the south and east of the country. This is the worst sectarian violence in Iraq since 2007/8 except back then American troops were able to launch a surge against the extremists and reduce tensions. What is to stop the violence this time? Iraqi civilians are being butchered and no one in the west gives a damn.

    The "War on Terror" is a sick joke. There was no Al Qaeda in Iraq before the invasion in 2003 yet now they operate with almost total impunity. In Syria the government is fighting against terrorists and William Hague wants to send guns to Al Qaeda! How many more secular government does the west want to overthrow and allow the Wahhabists take control?


    BBC News - Iraq violence: Baghdad car bombs kill at least 66

    Iraq May death toll passes 500 | ArabNews
    I reckon the Brits & French want first dibs on arms contracts

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member bob3344's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,059
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Hard to resist the conclusion that these lunatics in the middle east need a dictator a la saddam, gaddafi, mubarak etc to keep them in line.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Ren84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Free Europe
    Posts
    49,865
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The usual far left supporters of all anti western regimes won't know who to back on this one.

    You have a US created Iraqi government, led by a leadership that the far left loons like Galloway said he hoped would fail. But on the other hand the Iraqi gov is now closely aligned with Iran and Assad, representing a Shia Axis so to speak.

    Those fighting the Shia government in Baghdad are the same folks fighting Assad in Damascus. A very difficult dilemma for supporters of lunatic Shia regimes everywhere.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Twin Towers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The war on terror is about trying to get them to stop killing each other and has never had much success.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Honecker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,764
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    The usual far left supporters of all anti western regimes won't know who to back on this one.

    You have a US created Iraqi government, led by a leadership that the far left loons like Galloway said he hoped would fail. But on the other hand the Iraqi gov is now closely aligned with Iran and Assad, representing a Shia Axis so to speak.

    Those fighting the Shia government in Baghdad are the same folks fighting Assad in Damascus. A very difficult dilemma for supporters of lunatic Shia regimes everywhere.
    Will you please stop spamming these threads announcing your hated of the far left. No one cares.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Ren84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Free Europe
    Posts
    49,865
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    Will you please stop spamming these threads announcing your hated of the far left. No one cares.
    Oh do shut up you whining Muppet. You were the one talking about the west wanting to see Wahabi nutters taking control. Just ignore the fact the al-Maliki government is supported by the west.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    How many more secular governments does the west want to overthrow and allow the Wahhabists take control?
    And do the citizens of Syria, Libya or Iraq not have a say in it?

    Because for me the gaping hole in your theory is the idea that the peoples of these ancient civilisations would be happy being ruled by animals who shoot 15 year old schoolgirls in the face and destroy ancient cultural treasures. Why in the name of God would they want or accept that?

    We need to rid ourselves of this notion that Middle Eastern citizens secretly wish to be ruled by extremist Islamists. 99% of them want the same life as all humans want, which simply means jobs and a house and the means to raise their kids.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ard Mhacha
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Most of the attacks may be Sunni extremists attacking Shias, but Shia extremists are also attacking Sunnis. Iran is training and paying these same Shia extremists to fight for Assad in Syria. According to Iraqi MP Ahmed al-Alwani: "Iran is directly involved in recruiting Iraqis and Lebanese to fight in Syria using the young men's need for money, and their religious fervor, which is driven by Iraqi religious leaders close to the Iranian regime".

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Honecker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,764
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    And do the citizens of Syria, Libya or Iraq not have a say in it?

    Because for me the gaping hole in your theory is the idea that the peoples of these ancient civilisations would be happy being ruled by animals who shoot 15 year old schoolgirls in the face and destroy ancient cultural treasures. Why in the name of God would they want or accept that?

    We need to rid ourselves of this notion that Middle Eastern citizens secretly wish to be ruled by extremist Islamists. 99% of them want the same life as all humans want, which simply means jobs and a house and the means to raise their kids.
    Of course they don't want to be ruled by extremists. That's why the Syrian people have been fighting for 2 years. However strong central governments are needed in these countries to combat the spread of Wahhabism and protect the people. The idealists in the west need to stop reading bullsh1t liberal theorists and study the works of Thomas Hobbs if they want to understand people's concerns in the middle east and why people support Assad and supported Gaddaffi.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •