Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Assisted suicide no, abortion yes?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Assisted suicide no, abortion yes?

Assisted suicide no, Abortion yes.

So the gutless one has decided that he'll allow for the murder of unborn babies if the mother is suicidal etc but at the same time refuses to allow terminally ill people, in immense pain, be assisted to end their suffering.

What is it with FG that they insist on inflicting the most pain on the most vulnerable in society?

Kenny will not legislate for assisted suicide - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Wed, May 29, 2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

post deleted - sorry!

Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by Fr.Ted Crilly View Post

So the gutless one has decided that he'll allow for the murder of unborn babies if the mother is suicidal etc but at the same time refuses to allow terminally ill people, in immense pain, be assisted to end their suffering.

What is it with FG that they insist on inflicting the most pain on the most vulnerable in society?

Kenny will not legislate for assisted suicide - Political News | Irish & International Politics | The Irish Times - Wed, May 29, 2013
    Can you imagine the reaction at the FG parliamentary party meeting were EK to say he would propose legislation to allow assisted-suicide, once he had guided abortion legislation thru' the Dail?!

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could be an interesting new nickname on the political cards. 'Both Barrels Kenny'.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr.Ted Crilly View Post

Do you really think there would be popular support in Ireland for legislating for assisted suicide?
    There is no Keyser Soze

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Can you imagine the reaction at the FG parliamentary party meeting were EK to say he would propose legislation to allow assisted-suicide, once he had guided abortion legislation thru' the Dail?!

There is nothing stopping him from doing so right now.

Just think about it.

Laws brought in to say:

1. That if you are terminally ill and suicidal, you can get someone to give you a hand with killing yourself, the State won't mind.

2. That if you are pregnant and suicidal and would like your baby killed, the State will do the job for you.

Kenny will legislate for Scenario 2, but not for Scenario 1.

Is the man well?
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's both fair and compassionate to allow assited suicide where someone is terminally ill and clearly in distress, I mean we do put down other sentient creatures such as the family pet when they are in such conditions (I'm not trying to equate a dog or cat with a human so don't jump down my throat).

I also think the 'x' case should be implemented (although threat of suicide is still dubious grounds for abortion to me but if the people so wish it).

However abortion on demand and assisted suicide on demand should never be allowed on the basis that they are regressive policies.
    I was ready to love the world, but no one understood me, so I learned to hate.
    - Mikhail Lermontov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm for everything, including free beer for babies and meth for OAP's.....
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Our lives are our own. Unless others depend on us financially, we should have complete sovereignty over whether we live or die. If quality of life and independent living are not possible, then I would not want to live. Give this poor woman what she wants. We treat our pets with more humanity than we treat human beings who are suffering terminal illnesses.

No doubt the Church is again at the forefront of opposition to euthanasia as with abortion and gay marriage. But given the Church's long history of hypocrisy on the question of "thou shalt not kill" e.g. the Inquisition, calling Crusades in the Middle East/against European 'heretics' like the Cathars, and that the Vatican only abolished capital punishment around the 1950's, I hardly think it's in any position to oppose euthanasia with a straight face.
    Save the 27th

Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    Do you really think there would be popular support in Ireland for legislating for assisted suicide?
    There ought to be - the issue is more clear-cut than that of abortion.
    Repeal the 27th.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast