Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Soya beans to be replaced by maggots to feed to livestock. Trials under way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Soya beans to be replaced by maggots to feed to livestock. Trials under way.

I'm not so sure if this is the right place for this.

Coming to your local supermarket soon: Chicken la maggots - News - Food & Drink - The Independent

I dont have a answer for the growing world population ,But is this really the best way to go about it.

B.S.E part two.only maybe worse. The powers that be say we should eat more insects fine,great ,but once again interfering with feed for animals is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It's not "interfering" with the feed chain. It's just changing what they're eating. Putting horse into beef produce is interfering.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well Sync.This is were we differ. Horse is still a meat . Its not one type of protein sourced from Plants and changed to a protein made from insects. Its changing the order or what animals are eating. Look what happend the last time the protein was changed .

Plant eating animals should not be fed protein sourced from animals (or insects) that are not in the animals normal diet.

Im sure free range chickens love the odd maggot that it finds. But to have its grain and the protein it consumes changed so drasticly is only a recipe for disaster. Imho of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whats wrong with chickens eating insects? Free-range chickens eat tonnes of insects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chickens are omnivores.[10] In the wild, they often scratch at the soil to search for seeds, insects and even larger animals such as lizards or young mice.[11]
    Chicken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd suggest maggots are more natural for chickens than soya.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From memory Soya crops in US have been poor last few years. Certainly prices are high for soya for a couple of years. I think Argentinian farmers have been hoarding their produce too.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Dylan2010

you'll have roger dialling in soon to suggest that crickets have rights

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    you'll have roger dialling in soon to suggest that crickets have rights
    Well, he "kill" figure will definately have to be revised upwards if they want to count the number of maggots killed to feed chickens!
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zamidan View Post

Coming to your local supermarket soon: Chicken la maggots - News - Food & Drink - The Independent

I dont have a answer for the growing world population ,But is this really the best way to go about it.

B.S.E part two.only maybe worse. The powers that be say we should eat more insects fine,great ,but once again interfering with feed for animals is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.
    Here's one of the research papers on this.

http://www.jeb.co.in/journal_issues/...9/paper_24.pdf

It doesn't seem to affect the quality of the meat. Insect larvae are part of the diet of many cultures without any adverse effects, so where's the panic?

Quote Originally Posted by Zamidan View Post

Well first off we don't have a growing world population and second, feeding maggots to chickens is no harm.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern mans existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast