Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swapping Drivers Licenses within the E.U.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Swapping Drivers Licenses within the E.U.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed but I have learned recently of an ingenious little scam involving Swapped Dirvers Licenses within the EU.

Step 1. You are a Polish national looking to obtain a drivers license for a car.

Step 2. Do the Drivers Theory Test, pass and apply for a Provisional Drivers License.

Step 3. On your next visit home to Warsaw, leave in your Irish Provisional License to be exchanged for a Polish Drivers License. The Polish authorities will issue a FULL B License because they never heard of provisional licenses.

Step 4. On your return to Dublin swap your full Polish Drivers License into a FULL IRISH DRIVERS LICENSE. Perfectly legal to do within the EU.

Brilliant, eh?

This can also be done for Provisional C and D licenses.

Will we have to wait for somebody to die before this scam is stopped?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Almost as good as claming child benefit in Poland and Ireland simulatneously.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have heard that you can do that with a english license also.

actually no. The procedure is..
    get fake irish licence, does not matter how bad,
    Go over to england and change your licence for a uk licence
    come back to ireland and change your uk licence for a irish licence and voila
    you have yourself a official irish licence without ever having to sit a test.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Swapping Drivers Licenses within the E.U.

Quote Originally Posted by hiker
    I'm not sure if this has been discussed but I have learned recently of an ingenious little scam involving Swapped Dirvers Licenses within the EU.

Step 1. You are a Polish national looking to obtain a drivers license for a car.

Step 2. Do the Drivers Theory Test, pass and apply for a Provisional Drivers License.

Step 3. On your next visit home to Warsaw, leave in your Irish Provisional License to be exchanged for a Polish Drivers License. The Polish authorities will issue a FULL B License because they never heard of provisional licenses.

Step 4. On your return to Dublin swap your full Polish Drivers License into a FULL IRISH DRIVERS LICENSE. Perfectly legal to do within the EU.

Brilliant, eh?

To the best of my knowledge, the Polish licensing authorities return the Irish license to licensing authorities here (or are supposed to). The licensing authorities here should have no difficulty in tracking the people involved down (i.e. Irish Provisional License No. X swopped for Polish License No. Y swopped for Irish License No. Z). After that it is up to the Gardai and the DPP.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Swapping Drivers Licenses within the E.U.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul R
    Quote Originally Posted by hiker

Brilliant, eh?

To the best of my knowledge, the Polish licensing authorities return the Irish license to licensing authorities here (or are supposed to). The licensing authorities here should have no difficulty in tracking the people involved down (i.e. Irish Provisional License No. X swopped for Polish License No. Y swopped for Irish License No. Z). After that it is up to the Gardai and the DPP.

Yeah, you would think it was that simple. What are the chances the Garda are going to find Pzremeck at the address on the liscense, assuming he put an Irish address on it in the first place.

He will have put his home address in Warsaw as his address and then returned to Ireland with his new full B license.

Overall its not a huge issue because there are Irish drivers on provisional licenses on our roads who never took a lesson in their lives and are all round pretty crap drivers.

Its the larger truck and bus licenses that worry me because of the potential damage that can be caused.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daithimac

Where did you pick up this rubbish ? I have had both RoI and UK licences. They are very strict in the UK (where I originally did my driving test during a near-riot in Derry in 1972) and will send you a load of forms to fill in and may even call you in for a wee chat if they're at all suspicious.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanad voter
    Quote Originally Posted by daithimac

Where did you pick up this rubbish ? I have had both RoI and UK licences. They are very strict in the UK (where I originally did my driving test during a near-riot in Derry in 1972) and will send you a load of forms to fill in and may even call you in for a wee chat if they're at all suspicious.
    I agree. If you lose a UK licence you have a mountain of paperwork to complete to get it replaced.

We need to sort out our own crap drivers before we worry about others.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This scam is also a favourite of the Irish backpacker in Australia.
    So much so, that the Oz authorities are instructed to be super suspicious when an Irish accent approaches the counter in a license centre.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

provisional licence
    Before you jump at hapless Polish "schemer" - can you explain what is the point of provisional licence? And why should anyone be compelled to "swap" it for a full licence? Did you know there are NO provisional licences in Central Europe in the first place?
    Gaelainn na Mumhan abú!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LTGuy
    provisional licence
    Before you jump at hapless Polish "schemer" - can you explain what is the point of provisional licence? And why should anyone be compelled to "swap" it for a full licence? Did you know there are NO provisional licences in Central Europe in the first place?
    Quite the contrary, if it were me I would do exactly the same thing. Thats what loopholes are for.

Its the fact that provisional licenses exist in Ireland is the reason that the loophole exists.
    I dont blame any other nationality for this mess. Its ours (Irish)and ours alone.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast