Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: James Reilly introduces harsh Australian style law for cigarette packaging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default James Reilly introduces harsh Australian style law for cigarette packaging.

I just listened to Minister Reilly on with Seán O'Rourke.
    Fair play to Reilly he's banning branded cigarette packaging.
    Instead it will be plain packs with graphic images of diseased organs and limited branding.

It should save lives and the state money in health costs. Also its innovative and puts us in a leadership role.
    Its also personally brave as big tobacco will kick and scream lobby and litigate all the way to Supranational organisations and Europe on the issue.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has it cut down on the incidence of smoking in the general population in Oz?

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    Instead it will be plain packs with graphic images of diseased organs and limited branding.

It should save lives and the state money in health costs. Also its innovative and puts us in a leadership role.
    Its also personally brave as big tobacco will kick and scream lobby and litigate all the way to Supranational organisations and Europe on the issue.
    So he has given up on HSE reform then?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have to say I agree with the Minister here.

It also makes life easier for the Gardai or anyone else investigating cigarette smuggling. If you're seen on the street with a 'branded' pack of cigarettes, the Gardai should be entitled to confiscate them unless you can prove you bought them abroad and brought them home legitimately.

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post

I see a market opportunity in cigarette cases.

But it doesn't do squat to reduce smoking. Smokers turn it into a joke "What did you get?". "Prostrate Cancer. You?". "Gum disease". "Lucky bastard".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paddyc View Post

It also makes life easier for the Gardai or anyone else investigating cigarette smuggling. If you're seen on the street with a 'branded' pack of cigarettes, the Gardai should be entitled to confiscate them unless you can prove you bought them abroad and brought them home legitimately.
    eh no, it doesn't work like that

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Like the gardai haven't enough to be doing, what with cancelling penalty points and keeping an eye on the opposition.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_Observer View Post
    I see a market opportunity in cigarette cases.

But it doesn't do squat to reduce smoking. Smokers turn it into a joke "What did you get?". "Prostrate Cancer. You?". "Gum disease". "Lucky bastard".
    It's already been done.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Dylan2010

lol so now we will have to walk around with our holiday snaps just in case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A daft proposal.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast