Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 287

Thread: James Reilly introduces harsh Australian style law for cigarette packaging.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Boy M5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    21,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default James Reilly introduces harsh Australian style law for cigarette packaging.

    I just listened to Minister Reilly on with Seán O'Rourke.
    Fair play to Reilly he's banning branded cigarette packaging.
    Instead it will be plain packs with graphic images of diseased organs and limited branding.

    It should save lives and the state money in health costs. Also its innovative and puts us in a leadership role.
    Its also personally brave as big tobacco will kick and scream lobby and litigate all the way to Supranational organisations and Europe on the issue.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member damus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Has it cut down on the incidence of smoking in the general population in Oz?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The World
    Posts
    14,778
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    I just listened to Minister Reilly on with Seán O'Rourke.
    Fair play to Reilly he's banning branded cigarette packaging.
    Instead it will be plain packs with graphic images of diseased organs and limited branding.

    It should save lives and the state money in health costs. Also its innovative and puts us in a leadership role.
    Its also personally brave as big tobacco will kick and scream lobby and litigate all the way to Supranational organisations and Europe on the issue.
    So he has given up on HSE reform then?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,738
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Have to say I agree with the Minister here.

    It also makes life easier for the Gardai or anyone else investigating cigarette smuggling. If you're seen on the street with a 'branded' pack of cigarettes, the Gardai should be entitled to confiscate them unless you can prove you bought them abroad and brought them home legitimately.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    I just listened to Minister Reilly on with Seán O'Rourke.
    Fair play to Reilly he's banning branded cigarette packaging.
    Instead it will be plain packs with graphic images of diseased organs and limited branding.

    It should save lives and the state money in health costs. Also its innovative and puts us in a leadership role.
    Its also personally brave as big tobacco will kick and scream lobby and litigate all the way to Supranational organisations and Europe on the issue.
    I see a market opportunity in cigarette cases.

    But it doesn't do squat to reduce smoking. Smokers turn it into a joke "What did you get?". "Prostrate Cancer. You?". "Gum disease". "Lucky bastard".

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyc View Post
    Have to say I agree with the Minister here.

    It also makes life easier for the Gardai or anyone else investigating cigarette smuggling. If you're seen on the street with a 'branded' pack of cigarettes, the Gardai should be entitled to confiscate them unless you can prove you bought them abroad and brought them home legitimately.
    eh no, it doesn't work like that

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member 'orebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In corrigible
    Posts
    20,278
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyc View Post
    Have to say I agree with the Minister here.

    It also makes life easier for the Gardai or anyone else investigating cigarette smuggling. If you're seen on the street with a 'branded' pack of cigarettes, the Gardai should be entitled to confiscate them unless you can prove you bought them abroad and brought them home legitimately.
    Like the gardai haven't enough to be doing, what with cancelling penalty points and keeping an eye on the opposition.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member 'orebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In corrigible
    Posts
    20,278
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_Observer View Post
    I see a market opportunity in cigarette cases.

    But it doesn't do squat to reduce smoking. Smokers turn it into a joke "What did you get?". "Prostrate Cancer. You?". "Gum disease". "Lucky bastard".
    It's already been done.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

  9. #9
    Dylan2010
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyc View Post
    Have to say I agree with the Minister here.

    It also makes life easier for the Gardai or anyone else investigating cigarette smuggling. If you're seen on the street with a 'branded' pack of cigarettes, the Gardai should be entitled to confiscate them unless you can prove you bought them abroad and brought them home legitimately.
    lol so now we will have to walk around with our holiday snaps just in case

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Ren84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Free Europe
    Posts
    49,865
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A daft proposal.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •