Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Growth of non-religious ceremonies in postcatholic ireland.

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Growth of non-religious ceremonies in postcatholic ireland.

There’s little doubt the Irish branch of the roman catholic church is withering away under the bored apathetic gaze of the current generation to the hostile glee of the older generation. Seminaries are barren despite heavy investment in public relations and the recruitment of a handful of poor fools trying to hide from the world makes headline news in the religious press. The dearth of men willing to submit to the numbing dogmatic bureaucracy of the centrally ruled Vatican city-state has led to estimates predicting the number of Irish priests dropping to “a few hundred” by 2042.

This has led to a slow but persistent increase in the demand for secular ceremonies:-
    Irish funeral directors estimate that 10 percent of the nearly 30,000 funerals conducted annually are nonreligious. Government data show that about 30 percent of the 21,000 weddings annually are outside any church, up from 5 percent two decades ago.

Brian Whiteside, the director of ceremonies for the Humanist Association of Ireland, led more than 100 weddings, funerals or naming ceremonies in 2012.

“We’re busier than we ever thought we would be,” Whiteside said. “I thought I would do this as a sideline, but it’s taken over my life.”

Humanists — who believe in ethical values and a sense of compassion — have been at the forefront of performing nonreligious ceremonies. Whiteside said he and his 10 fellow Humanist-sanctioned celebrants have seen consistent growth, topping off at 78 funerals and 200 weddings in 2012.
    Godless funerals thrive in ?post-Catholic? Ireland - Washington Post

Personally I find roman catholic ceremonies painful especially at emotive events like funerals. But I do like (a little) tradition and the idea employing a professional with a master’s in "bereavement studies" to conduct a ceremony with popular music just leaves me cold. Perhaps this is just a remanent of cultural Catholicism and will fade in time.

How do other posters feel about non-religious ceremonies? Has anyone attended one?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been to a few registry office weddings. They could do with spending a bit of money on those places - extremely bleak. That and the restrictions placed by the registrar on what the bride and groom could include in their ceremony were far greater than anything that your local priest would do.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Attended one about 6 weeks ago which was a very nice ceremony and definitely in keeping with the views of the lady concerned.

She had no priest or anything but just family members saying a few words and the recurring theme was that she wouldn't have wanted people to mourn but to remember the happy times.

It was such a nice and simple ceremony with some music that was special to her that I thought that this is what I want and not some monotone paid magpie mumbling his way through his tenth funeral that week.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    Attended one about 6 weeks ago which was a very nice ceremony and definitely in keeping with the views of the lady concerned.

She had no priest or anything but just family members saying a few words and the recurring theme was that she wouldn't have wanted people to mourn but to remember the happy times.

It was such a nice and simple ceremony with some music that was special to her that I thought that this is what I want and not some monotone paid magpie mumbling his way through his tenth funeral that week.
    I've been to very nice non religious funerals but what you're doing in this post is simply trying to falsely support your argument with a fairly inaccurate stereotype. Most church funerals that I have been to where the individual attends that church are incredibly sincere and heartfelt.

You get what you're talking about when a family unknown to the priest phone him up and ask him to officiate at a funeral of somebody he has absolutely no knowledge of and then he has to come up with something generic.

The last funeral I was at in a church included a heartfelt thanks from the family to the (female) clergy person for the weekly visits and support that they provided to their mum over the course of two years during her gradual demise to cancer. Anecdotes don't really demonstrate very much without a little more context.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was at a funeral yesterday, and the singer and songs choosen was fabulous. Catholic funerals have moved to been a celebration of a life rather than mourning the death.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    I've been to very nice non religious funerals but what you're doing in this post is simply trying to falsely support your argument with a fairly inaccurate stereotype. Most church funerals that I have been to where the individual attends that church are incredibly sincere and heartfelt.

You get what you're talking about when a family unknown to the priest phone him up and ask him to officiate at a funeral of somebody he has absolutely no knowledge of and then he has to come up with something generic.

The last funeral I was at in a church included a heartfelt thanks from the family to the (female) clergy person for the weekly visits and support that they provided to their mum over the course of two years during her gradual demise to cancer. Anecdotes don't really demonstrate very much without a little more context.
    It is up to each individual of course. What I'm saying is that the important thing is the social signal among the bereaved that this is where the end is and when the ceremony whatever it is is over that is the signal to begin moving on. That is the psychology of these ceremonies.

My father has said also that he does not want a catholic funeral or priest and that surprised me as he is of the 50's generation although has never had much regard or interest in churches/priests.

I'm certainly having no priests involved.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I want this played at mine.
    A cremation obviously. petunia
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    I was at a funeral yesterday, and the singer and songs choosen was fabulous. Catholic funerals have moved to been a celebration of a life rather than mourning the death.
    So long as they keep promising the bereaved that they'll be reunited with the deceased in some mythical afterlife, count me out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    So long as they keep promising the bereaved that they'll be reunited with the deceased in some mythical afterlife, count me out.

Honestly out of all you family, there would be very few people that most would like to be reunited with ! It does make me laugh to see people placed next to each other for all eternity and didn't speak for years with each other when alive

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_Observer View Post
    There’s little doubt the Irish branch of the roman catholic church is withering away under the bored apathetic gaze of the current generation to the hostile glee of the older generation. Seminaries are barren despite heavy investment in public relations and the recruitment of a handful of poor fools trying to hide from the world makes headline news in the religious press. The dearth of men willing to submit to the numbing dogmatic bureaucracy of the centrally ruled Vatican city-state has led to estimates predicting the number of Irish priests dropping to “a few hundred” by 2042.

This has led to a slow but persistent increase in the demand for secular ceremonies:-

Godless funerals thrive in ?post-Catholic? Ireland - Washington Post

Personally I find roman catholic ceremonies painful especially at emotive events like funerals. But I do like (a little) tradition and the idea employing a professional with a master’s in "bereavement studies" to conduct a ceremony with popular music just leaves me cold. Perhaps this is just a remanent of cultural Catholicism and will fade in time.

How do other posters feel about non-religious ceremonies? Has anyone attended one?
    God or religious thinking doesn't form any part of my day-to-day life so non-religious ceremonies are the default setting for me. So why would I insert a third party, especially a third party that is as morally reprehensive as the catholic church) into the equation to officiate over and endorse something that is absolutely none of their business? My own wedding was a civil ceremony. Absolutely refused point blank to go along with the status-quo and have a church wedding when both my partner and I feel that it's absolute codswallop. When our first child is born later this year, we'll have a naming party for our family and close friends. We'll do our damnest to get the kid enrolled into an Educate together school (thankfully there is one in the locality), and won't be getting him/her confirmed. When I shake off this mortal coil, I'd like my family and friends to have a party and some sort of humanist ceremony if they want. Although it won't really matter a jot to me what happens then as I'll have snuffed it.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast