Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Limerick city council 'taken over' by anti-austerity protestors

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Limerick city council 'taken over' by anti-austerity protestors

    Interesting development as the anti-Property Tax campaign in Limerick stage an occupation of Limerick City Council to announce their intention to stand a slate of anti-austerity, anti-property tax and anti-water charges candidates in the upcoming local elections.

    Whatever people may think of the action or campaign itself, this development along with the new amalgamated council is sure to make more than a few councillors nervous.

    Limerick's Live95FM | Anti-property tax campaigners occupy City Hall

    Limerick's Live95FM | Campaigners say "Don't Register" as property tax deadline looms

    Council meeting sabotaged by anti-austerity protestors

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Bunker...Returning Fire!
    Posts
    29,335
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Will they be responsible for the city hall's charge?
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by No.11 View Post
    Interesting development as the anti-Property Tax campaign in Limerick stage an occupation of Limerick City Council to announce their intention to stand a slate of anti-austerity, anti-property tax and anti-water charges candidates in the upcoming local elections.

    Whatever people may think of the action or campaign itself, this development along with the new amalgamated council is sure to make more than a few councillors nervous.

    Limerick's Live95FM | Anti-property tax campaigners occupy City Hall

    Limerick's Live95FM | Campaigners say "Don't Register" as property tax deadline looms

    Council meeting sabotaged by anti-austerity protestors
    No doubt we will have the usual comments of "Fascist behavior" thrown at the protesters, even do this property charge is fascist in the way it is been implemented.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Statement by the campaign taken from their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/LimerickWontPay)

    Anti-austerity and anti-property tax activists today occupied Limerick City Council chamber, delaying the official meeting to run a meeting of their own. Organised by the Campaign Against Property Tax & Austerity, this 'rogue' council voted to:

    - Oppose all austerity attacks on working class people
    - Condemn the property, water and septic tank taxes & encourage people to keep up the boycott
    - Scrap all junkets at tax payers expense
    - Make the rich and tax dodging corporations pay for their crisis
    - Stand against the pro-austerity parties in next years local elections, and take their seats for good

    CAPTA activist, Paul Keller, who moved the motion to oppose the property tax and austerity said: "The government parties are trying to bully people into paying this hated property tax, but we are here today to let them know they will be paid back in next years local elections. We want to kick out every politician that supports these austerity taxes and cuts, an instead have teams of anti-austerity, anti-property tax campaigners elected. Everyone who is sick and tired of austerity should get involved in building this alternative, as we cannot rely on anyone but ourselves to fight back. Labour Councillors in particular should be aware that if they keep supporting this austerity agenda, we will be coming to take their seats off them next year."

    Fellow activist, Stephanie O'Shea explained that the campaign is appealing for people to get involved in this electoral challenge "If we are going to take on the political establishment in Limerick, we need everyone getting involved. In two weeks time we are holding an open public meeting on this initiative, where people can come along, find out more and get involved. The meeting is on Wednesday June 12th and starts at 8pm in the Absolute Hotel, and everyone interested in fighting austerity and the home taxes should come along. We want to involve as many genuine people as possible, from every community, in deciding on our manifesto and candidates. If you want to see a strong anti-austerity, anti-property tax challenge built, to wipe out the austerity parties, then please sign up to this initiative and get involved."

    Having passed these motions, the campaigners left the council building, chanting "Axe the Tax or Watch Your Vote Collapse" as the sitting councilors took their seats. Red cards bearing the same message were also left for all the councilors as well. The campaign has announced that it is launching an initiative in Limerick to build the strongest possible anti-austerity challenge in the local elections due to take place this time next year. Everyone willing to help out is invited to sign up to the initiative in the next month, and come along to the decision making meetings, which culminates in a special selection convention on July 6th, which will decide on the candidates, manifesto and more.
    Some video up there as well:




  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,931
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Labour Party councillor Joe Leddin, a former mayor, was critical of the protesters’ motives. “I don’t know anyone who likes austerity or supports it, but for them to hang their campaign on tax the rich is a bit like Sinn Féin’s matchbox style economics,” said Mr Leddin.
    What an odd thing to say. "Even when it was the lunatic idiots trying to disrupt democracy, I knew it was really SF's fault!"

    Good stuff out of the protesters though.
    http://www.lcc.ie/NR/rdonlyres/BC583...7thMay2013.pdf

    Hey victims of intimidation! Hey farmers who need compensation for losing assets! Hey Credit Unions who lost out on Anglo's collapse: ^*&@ YOU! Our batch of unelected loons are going to try and prevent the elected representatives of the people from trying to help you.

    My favourite bit:
    “They [the councillors] got a surprise but they didn’t speak to us. Then they all turned their backs and carried on with their own conversations,” he added.
    That's exactly how you deal with unruly children, you starve them of the attention they're looking for.
    Last edited by Sync; 28th May 2013 at 12:16 PM.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member sic transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,885
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Not sure why they're targeting a council, apart from the obvious publicity. Did someone not tell them that Revenue will doing the taking?
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Saith Cainty Dublin
    Posts
    33,142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    What an odd thing to say. "Even when it was the lunatic idiots trying to disrupt democracy, I knew it was really SF's fault!"

    I don't think it's thatodd. VB on his TV show last night was openly musing about where Labour's vote was going to go when they get a drubbing at the next election. If it doesn't go to SF where will it go? was his line of thought. If I were in Labour I'd be seriously worried about my seat.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,931
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    I don't think it's thatodd. VB on his TV show last night was openly musing about where Labour's vote was going to go when they get a drubbing at the next election. If it doesn't go to SF where will it go? was his line of thought. If I were in Labour I'd be seriously worried about my seat.
    It's just such a non-sequitar though. "I was watching Benfica come apart in the cup final and it was just like how SF want the country to come apart!!!"
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Good stuff out of the protesters though.
    http://www.lcc.ie/NR/rdonlyres/BC583...7thMay2013.pdf

    Hey victims of intimidation! Hey farmers who need compensation for losing assets! Hey Credit Unions who lost out on Anglo's collapse: ^*&@ YOU! Our batch of unelected loons are going to try and prevent the elected representatives of the people from trying to help you.
    Er, they occupied the city council. That's the agenda for Limerick county council.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,931
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by No.11 View Post
    Er, they occupied the city council. That's the agenda for Limerick county council.
    Damned stubby fingers...
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •