Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Do we know the names of everyone who had penalty points cancelled?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Do we know the names of everyone who had penalty points cancelled?

I heard a bit of a report on the radio yesterday, about some FOI data on penalty points that was obtained by the Examiner.
    Do we now have the names of everyone who had points written off, or could there still be some politicians who are trying to keep it quiet?
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No of course not. There are loads of people, the vast majority of whom will have had them cancelled legitimately "It wasn't me in the car, look here's evidence", "I was a doctor on the way to an emergency, look, here's evidence" etc etc. It would be completely inappropriate to just throw the list of names up there when there's no suggestion, let alone finding, of wrong doing on their part.

The examiner don't have the list from an FOI request.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    No of course not. There are loads of people, the vast majority of whom will have had them cancelled legitimately "It wasn't me in the car, look here's evidence", "I was a doctor on the way to an emergency, look, here's evidence" etc etc. It would be completely inappropriate to just throw the list of names up there when there's no suggestion, let alone finding, of wrong doing on their part.

The examiner don't have the list from an FOI request.
    What basis have you for making such a claim? The whistle blowers didn't seem to think so.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'orebel View Post
    What basis have you for making such a claim? The whistle blowers didn't seem to think so.
    Meh. Remove it then. The report claims there's no mass illigitimacy, but fine take that line out.

There's no way it's appropriate to publish such a list of names, the immediate suspicion they would be placed under is A: They've done something wrong and B: They've then done something with the Gardai to have that something wrong expunged.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had some cancelled.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Meh. Remove it then. The report claims there's no mass illigitimacy, but fine take that line out.

There's no way it's appropriate to publish such a list of names, the immediate suspicion they would be placed under is A: They've done something wrong and B: They've then done something with the Gardai to have that something wrong expunged.
    The allegation by the whistle blowers was that there was a culture of writing off penalty points by the Guards. The report substantiated that claim even allowing for the limited scope of the report.

No one alleged that there should not be circumstances whereby penalty points should be written off such as medical emergencies etc. However, the key allegation made was that many guards were writing off points for friends and relations of guards, people in the know such as politicians and judges etc. That allegation has been substantially vindicated.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Ffs, Sync. The report by the gardai claims there's no mass illegitimacy by the gardai. Isn't that what's exercising Clare Daly? Why were the whistle blowers not interviewed.

I'm not claiming it's appropriate to publish any such list. I'm simply pointing out that you have no basis for claiming that "the vast majority of whom will have had them cancelled legitimately". You could have said a sizeable proportion - and even then you'd be bluffing.

I can't remove it but you can.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why are our leaders ruling in such an idiotic fashion?

I recently received a letter from the RSA saying that my penalty points were removed relating to an incident back in January 2010.

That's fine. If I had more penalty points, I would have to pay a higher insurance premium. But what galls me is the number of people, which seems to be in the hundreds, that can organise it that points are never registered.

I remember going home to Mayo and missing a turn off the main highway for my home town over ten years ago. I kept going as there was another turn-off further down. The Gardai pulled me over for speeding. I actually thanked them. My mind was wandering as I was heading back for my father’s funeral. Yes, I paid the penalty feeling that my own life or somebody else’s life could have been saved by the guards’ actions.

I am an accountant. We have CPD course on Money Laundering and the life is frightened out of us with an outline of the massive penalties involved e.g. loose our license to practise etc. Yet we have too-big-to-fail colossal financial conglomerates indicted with Money Laundering offences continue strutting the world stage.

The same government that scares the hell out of small town accountants/auditors have no problem jumping to the whip of the International Financial Buccaneers and paying back the bank bondholders arranged by these same Money Launderers.

They then lump the cost of rescuing the privately owned funds, arranged by these indicted Money Launderers, on the ordinary citizens of this State whose backs are already broken trying to make ends meet. The EU etc allow the international banking Money Launderers in their pin-stripped suits continue practising their black financial arts using sophisticated financial algorithms etc.

The whole system stinks to high heavens. Why are our leaders ruling in such an idiotic fashion?
    No warning can save a people determined to grow suddenly rich. - Lord Overstone.
    Hadn't met any Irish people that were afraid of anything - Christine Lagarde. 2008.