There's talk of a new political party. Plenty of talk. But there still appears to be an absence of ideology in anything which is positioning itself to be a political party.
The key issues are:
- what expenditure of GNP should government spending be?
- should the State subsidise private education or support it?
- how many tiers should our health system have? Public plus payment, medical card, private health insurance, cash/abroad?
- what diverge should there be between public sector contracts of emit meant and the rights of those in the private sector?
- what should put relationship be with the EU?
- the ratio between corporate tax and income tax?
- is it the business of government to redistribute wealth?
- the euro?
- united Ireland a pipedream or means to an end?
- personal rights v common good.
There is no political party which would divide between left/right, libertarian/conservative, 26/Republican on all of these issues.