Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Seanad referendum to come.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Seanad referendum to come.

The Government have promised a referendum on the Seanad in the autumn. The stated question is to be "Do you wish the Seanad abolished?" (wording likely different, same meaning)

What choice will you make? Abolish the Seanad or keep the Seanad?

Why?
    The enemy of my enemy is the enemy of my enemy. EU Army coming to be, the feckin' conspiracy nuts on Lisbon were right on this one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Keep with the hope of reform because taking away the upper house will leave a monopoly of power in the executive which is not the way it is meant to be and look what could have happened in that scenario if the previous government had even more power.
    *Shudders*
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hard to understand the present Government's obsession with having a referendum on an issue that nobody other than a few Mount Street anoraks gives a flying fwk about when they're running a mile from asking the electorate about abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Keep with the hope of reform because taking away the upper house will leave a monopoly of power in the executive which is not the way it is meant to be and look what could have happened in that scenario if the previous government had even more power.
    *Shudders*
    If a meaningful role for the Seanad existed, you'd think someone would have thought of what it was within the first 90 years of its existence.

I'm not sure what monopoly the Seanad denied the Dáil, but I don't think that anyone noticed it.
    Here's How, Ireland's political, social and current affairs podcast; Call the show on 076 603 5060 to record your contribution for the next show.

MrFunkyZombaloo

I'll be voting Yes to slash the excessive pensions of present/former politicians. I'll vote No on the question of bank bailouts. I'm sure to vote Yes when asked to completely remove the Whip and I'll definitely be voting No to Europe.

simeongrimes

If we vote no it will be taken as a mandate to leave the Seanad as is. The opponents of the referendum claim it is the Dail keeps the Seanad irrelevant so what makes them believe they will change after a referendum endorses the Seanad. It doesn't make any sense. Abolish it and then put the reforming energy into the Dail.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would vote to reform it if members were there on a strictly voluntary basis with zero remuneration except for very tightly monitored expenses for those travelling from outside Dublin. Those living in Dublin can use public transport like the rest of us.

That way we'd know members were there genuinely for the good of others.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

MrFunkyZombaloo

Quote Originally Posted by simeongrimes View Post
    Abolish it and then put the reforming energy into the Dail.
    And what on earth makes you think the Dáil wants to reform? I don't see any meaningful referendum being offered on that topic, do you?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    The Government have promised a referendum on the Seanad in the autumn. The stated question is to be "Do you wish the Seanad abolished?" (wording likely different, same meaning)

What choice will you make? Abolish the Seanad or keep the Seanad?

Why?
    The Seanad needs to be strengthened as a check on the Dáil, not abolished.

FG are too dangerous a party to be trusted with making changes to our constitutional protections.

D

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GJG View Post
    If a meaningful role for the Seanad existed, you'd think someone would have thought of what it was within the first 90 years of its existence.

I'm not sure what monopoly the Seanad denied the Dáil, but I don't think that anyone noticed it.
    That's because the Taoiseach's nominees give each government an automatic majority. Abolish the Taoiseach's nominees, and see how we get on.

D

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast