Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspect in Dean Fitzpatrick stabbing death named before being charged.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Suspect in Dean Fitzpatrick stabbing death named before being charged.

Is this a first?

Maybe it has happened before, but I honestly don't recall any suspect being named publicly before being charged, and/or appearing in court in connection with the offence.

In any event the person in question has been released without charge and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

The person was named in this mornings Independent, and mayb other publications also. Not on RTE or iT.

Man questioned over fatal Dublin stabbing released - RTÉ News

Politics.ie Member Frank Galton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We'll have to tread lightly on this one but it's hard not to notice the tragic family history in this case, there is a backstory that we don't know about.
    The Daily Mail -- the world's biggest cut-and-paste operation.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Galton View Post
    We'll have to tread lightly on this one but it's hard not to notice the tragic family history in this case, there is a backstory that we don't know about.
    I agree about being careful re comments.

Although the OP was not about anything like that.

I merely wished to know if a suspect can be named before being charged here, and used today's naming as an example. I didn't name anyone for the record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Today FM's news bulletins have been calling it a murder today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I still don't get how naming a suspect in a report, will prejudice anything.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asset test View Post
    Is this a first?

Maybe it has happened before, but I honestly don't recall any suspect being named publicly before being charged, and/or appearing in court in connection with the offence.

In any event the person in question has been released without charge and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

The person was named in this mornings Independent, and mayb other publications also. Not on RTE or iT.

Man questioned over fatal Dublin stabbing released - RTÉ News
    Is this a first??
    You obviously haven't been reading the Sunday World for the last 10 years.
    We also had media photographers outside the home of Alan Ryans Mother before Gardai arrived to arrest her sons.
    All the men arrested were named and their images appeared in the press the same day before being charged or released.
    A young man arrested in Leitrim for the killing of the Prison Officer in Armagh (and later released without charge) was also publicly identified.
    This is a common recurrence in recent years.
    Privacy is only for our betters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It should be illegal to name a person before they are convicted, never mind before they are charged.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it a legal requirement, or just a practise that ( notwithstanding the points mentioned by Truth.ie above), suspects are not usually identified prior to being charged.

I personally think it is not right that suspects are named on arrest and questioning.

I would not like to be arrested and named for something I didn't do.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure there is any law against a suspect being named before or after being charged.

There have been many recent cases where suspects in rape cases, etc have been named before a court case and found completely innocent after the court case. However the fact they have been named as suspects has had a disastrous impact on their lives.

There probably should be a law alright however, with the internet, twitter and all that, the name of the person would get into the public domain quite soon. It's relatively easy to gag the press, not so easy to gag social media.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zippo222 View Post
    Today FM's news bulletins have been calling it a murder today.
    thats cause i heard a guard calling it a murder on radio today.

but i did think it was odd naming the suspect

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast