Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Defence forces a complete joke?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are the Defence forces a complete joke?

In these harsh economic times many would argue that the Defence Forces are a waste of money. I disagree with that view but stories like this test my viewpoint. A tanker which had been seized by Revenue officials has been stolen from an army barracks in Louth.
    The incident happened in the early hours of this morning when someone apparently broke into Aiken Military Barracks in Dundalk.
    The tanker, still loaded with several thousand litres of laundered diesel, was being stored there after being seized.
    This morning a driver managed to get to the vehicle unnoticed, started it and then drove it out of the barracks, crashing through the locked gates at 2.10am.

How can the Defence Forces be so poor and how can somebody leave a barracks with a tanker "unnoticed"? . Given that its laundered diesel and its close to the border this incident has all the hallmarks of a Dissident republican job. Why should we pay for the Defence Forces when they cant even keep hold of a tanker?

Tanker stolen from army barracks in Co Louth - RTÉ News
    Last edited by johnny365; 26th May 2013 at 10:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It appears to be a complete fúck up but to extend that to the great every day work our Defence Forces do is completely disingenuous.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny365 View Post
    In these harsh economic times many would argue that the Defence Forces are a waste of money. I disagree with that view but stories like this test my viewpoint. A tanker which had been seized by Revenue officials has been stolen from an army barracks in Louth.
    The incident happened in the early hours of this morning when someone apparently broke into Aiken Military Barracks in Dundalk.
    The tanker, still loaded with several thousand litres of laundered diesel, was being stored there after being seized.
    This morning a driver managed to get to the vehicle unnoticed, started it and then drove it out of the barracks, crashing through the locked gates at 2.10am.

How can the Defence Forces be so poor and how can somebody leave a barracks with a tanker "unnoticed" . Given that its laundered diesel and its close to the border this incident has all the hallmarks of a Dissident republican job. Why should we pay for the Defence Forces when they cant even keep hold of a tanker.

Tanker stolen from army barracks in Co Louth - RTÉ News
    There you have the government view. You answered your own question. Well done to you.
    Last edited by Ulster-Lad; 27th May 2013 at 09:47 AM.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member Skin the Goat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny365 View Post
    Are the Defence forces a complete joke?
    At least you're not given to over reacting
    Last edited by Skin the Goat; 26th May 2013 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep abolish the whole lot cos of one f**k up, sure why not. Makes perfect sense. At least if the defence forces was abolished there'd be no more fuel trucks stolen outta barracks.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skin the Goat View Post
    At least you're not given to over reacting
    The quote you attributed to me there is not mine and you know it.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goa Tse View Post
    Yep abolish the whole lot cos of one f**k up, sure why not. Makes perfect sense. At least if the defence forces was abolished there'd be no more fuel trucks stolen outta barracks.
    What do they contribute? Why should we have peacekeepers in foreign lands when we cant afford services for our own people? What do the army provide that we could not do without?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What do they contribute? Why should we have peacekeepers in foreign lands when we cant afford services for our own people? What do the army provide that we could not do without?
    You mentioned the DF in the title. What would we do without a navy?
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member Skin the Goat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    The quote you attributed to me there is not mine and you know it.
    Apologies - my mistake

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They provide a very valuable source as a target for p.ie shinnerbot scorn.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast