Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Age Old Rip Off Continues Unabated!

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Age Old Rip Off Continues Unabated!

I didn't know what section to place this in but it is an ongoing rip off of longstanding, so I placed it here.
    I bought the Champion's league final programme the other day in one of our most well known newsagents. The cover price was 10 as it was published in Britain, I was charged €14.43. Which in nominal terms is 44.3% higher!
    Now there has been a claim by this newsagent in the past that they buy their sterling in bulk twice a year so changes in sterling difference are never really passed on (well if you have a currency buyer that does not take advantage of good rates then surely that individual is in the wrong job!). However leaving that aside we seem to be paying our own VAT rate on top of the British one when under EU law we should only be liable for the difference as we already have paid the rest of the VAT in a member state!
    My question is when will this obscene rip off end?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    I didn't know what section to place this in but it is an ongoing rip off of longstanding, so I placed it here.
    I bought the Champion's league final programme the other day in one of our most well known newsagents. The cover price was 10 as it was published in Britain, I was charged €14.43. Which in nominal terms is 44.3% higher!
    Now there has been a claim by this newsagent in the past that they buy their sterling in bulk twice a year so changes in sterling difference are never really passed on (well if you have a currency buyer that does not take advantage of good rates then surely that individual is in the wrong job!). However leaving that aside we seem to be paying our own VAT rate on top of the British one when under EU law we should only be liable for the difference as we already have paid the rest of the VAT in a member state!
    Would the same principle not apply to imported used cars?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bought the Champion's league final programme the other day in one of our most well known newsagents. The cover price was 10 as it was published in Britain, I was charged 14.43. Which in nominal terms is 44.3% higher!
    when people like you stop buying them...

Frankly you're wasting your time coming on here to complain after the event. What you should have done is voted with your feet and walked away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IbrahaimMohamad View Post
    Would the same principle not apply to imported used cars?
    As far as I know our Governments have negotiated a special scam with the EU to inflict the VRT on us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry I should have said negotiated 'A special exemption' as our government don't do scams and nor do the EU!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by highgiant View Post

Frankly you're wasting your time coming on here to complain after the event. What you should have done is voted with your feet and walked away.
    I did just that at Dublin Airport. Foreign Affairs magazine costs 9.99 pounds and they were demanding 15.99 euro iirc. I put it back on the shelf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by highgiant View Post

If it was even possible to buy it in another newsagent, it would probably be more expensive, I have noticed this pattern before!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As far as I know our Governments have negotiated a special scam with the EU to inflict the VRT on us!
    They also inflict VAT onto imported used cars on which the Vat has already been paid in the UK

Translation takes account of minimum of €2, cost of shipping and additional handing in sending to a wholesaler in Ireland who then has to break it down in smaller quantities to send to a shop adds probably another €1.25, VAT and margin the rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    Translation takes account of minimum of €2, cost of shipping and additional handing in sending to a wholesaler in Ireland who then has to break it down in smaller quantities to send to a shop adds probably another €1.25, VAT and margin the rest.
    And of course the minimum wage, which they pay to their employees is also higher than in the UK! So it could be the hardworking employees' fault!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast