Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Colm Keaveney says he won't support abortion Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Colm Keaveney says he won't support abortion Bill

Well this is unexpected - Colm Keaveney TD, the chair of the Labour Party, has said that he can't support the Protection of Life Bill as it currently stands. He states that he previously considered himself pro-choice, but he has decided that he can't support legislating for the risk of abortion:

This Bill has forced me to think through my position and having done so I find myself in a position of saying that if, when the Bill is initiated in the Dáil, it reflects the contents and detail of the Heads of Bill that were recently discussed before the Joint Committee on Health, then I will be unable to support it.
    The main points of concern that I have with the Bill are mainly contained in Head 4 – those relating to the risk of loss of life from self-destruction, ie suicide. There are a number of grounds upon which my concerns rest.
    The idea that a baby, as anticipated in the Heads of Bill, would be intentionally delivered prematurely, which would leave it at risk of disability, and placed in an incubator under the care of the State is seems somewhat dystopian to me. Minister of State, Alex White, confirmed this understanding during his closing remarks to the Health Committee on Tuesday evening. However, neither he nor the Minister for Health have been able to provide any detail about how the welfare of such infants would be secured, including their welfare into adulthood with any disability that may arise from such an early delivery as is envisaged by this legislation.
    He provides further reasons in the article, available here.

I doubt it will lead to any weakening of support for the Bill amongst Labour TDs, but could Keaveney's stance strengthen the resolve of those within FG who don't want to vote for suicide clause?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Colm Keaveney : "The idea that a baby, as anticipated in the Heads of Bill, would be intentionally delivered prematurely, which would leave it at risk of disability, and placed in an incubator under the care of the State is seems somewhat dystopian to me."
    But it's ok to kill a baby instead with an abortion ? Talk about kidding yourself with twisted double think.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish Middle Aged Man wants to tell women what they can do with their own bodies. Shocker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ha, he'll do absolutely anything to try and hold his seat. Even this gem from the article reeks of opportunism.

Other concerns that I have with this Bill include the danger that this legislation may further normalise suicide as an option. This is at a time where this country is undergoing a suicide epidemic. We need to show some caution and understanding towards the potential effects that such normalisation may have
    As if, Colm.

Column: I have always considered myself pro-choice, but I can’t support the proposed abortion bill

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    Irish Middle Aged Man wants to tell women what they can do with their own bodies. Shocker.
    What about the child's body ? As long as it's a male baby its fair game to abort it ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    We're not talking about breast implants here.
    "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suttree View Post
    We're not talking about breast implants here.
    We're not talking about incubators on legs either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He makes some good points. Does anybody here think the government are really open to making amendments to its draft legislation? The Health Committee's hearings are mere window dressing. The government will implement the legislation unchanged no matter how unnecessary and dangerous the evidence suggests it is.
    I care about all sorts of crap.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's trying to set himself up for a run for Europe & anything remotely like a pro-abortion stance would be disastrous. It's just realpolitik in action.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gebra View Post
    We're not talking about incubators on legs either.
    Exactly, we're talking about children and their right to life

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast