Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Why being a grown-up doesn't mean you have to grow up...

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Why being a grown-up doesn't mean you have to grow up...

    The IT graduation section has a nicely written editorial I thought I'd share.

    Leaving college: does that mean I have to grow up? - Life & Style | Trends, Tips, News & Advice | The Irish Times - Sat, May 25, 2013

    They say college provides the best years of your life, and what every student fears most is that it’s true. The world warns us to enjoy ourselves while we can, because it’s all downhill from here. Jobhunting, terrible accommodation and beans on toast will be the highlights of your existence once you have your degree.
    Sums it up for me - thats why I stayed in college so long.

    The good news is that you don’t ever have to become an adult. Because what we grow up believing adults to be is just a fantasy, a fairy tale. We believe throughout our childhood and adolescence the myths that adults are confident, are in control, know what they are doing, pay all their bills on time and enjoy eating vegetables.
    These people don’t exist. Adults are just you and your friends but more tired. The guy who drank so much he fell through your coffee table will be a solicitor with a wife and 2.5 children one day. He’ll still be the same idiot you knew. He’ll just get better at hiding it.
    I'd love if someone set this to music, like the Baz Luhrmann sunscreen song.

    Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen - YouTube

    http://redd.it/1f4pqu
    Last edited by seabhcan; 27th May 2013 at 12:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    When I was young I used to play soccer nearly every single day. Then I got a little older and realized I couldn't play as often. I came out of the leaving cert in bewilderment of what the last six years was all about as it seemed an entire waste of time. I used to be great at maths but by the time I finished the junior cert it seemed like a load of nonsense and basically gave up on it.

    Now I'm 21. There doesn't seem to be a job in Ireland as physically demanding as a game of soccer which is what I would prefer. The majority of my education apart from reading, writing and BOMDAS! is of little to no use for me (French, Irish, RELIGION). I now understand how complex mathematics is used in everyday life (10 years too late if you ask me) and regret throwing away that potential.

    I wouldn't mind a job in IT but apart from catering to multinationals needs, Ireland shows little innovation in the sector and there are probably 12 year old kids in other countries with more IT skills than me in terms of coding and software development.

    I know growing up in Ireland is like paradise compared to some other places in the world but I can't help but think or education systems success is exaggerated. In my opinion it's holding our country back.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Dan_Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yogosan View Post
    Now I'm 21. There doesn't seem to be a job in Ireland as physically demanding as a game of soccer which is what I would prefer. The majority of my education apart from reading, writing and BOMDAS! is of little to no use for me (French, Irish, RELIGION). I now understand how complex mathematics is used in everyday life (10 years too late if you ask me) and regret throwing away that potential.
    I'm the opposite, I did Math, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Applied maths for my leaving cert and regret my neglect of languages.

    While you are right that learning Irish was a waste of time, I wish I wasn't so utterly arrogant as to assume that once I did my leaving cert I would never look at a language book again. I'm now work with Spanish and Germans in other offices almost every day and wish I could easily learn new languages.

    Don't regret the past, just work on correcting the flaw for the future. Work on improving your IT skills if thats what you want to do.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yogosan View Post
    When I was young I used to play soccer nearly every single day. Then I got a little older and realized I couldn't play as often. I came out of the leaving cert in bewilderment of what the last six years was all about as it seemed an entire waste of time. I used to be great at maths but by the time I finished the junior cert it seemed like a load of nonsense and basically gave up on it.

    Now I'm 21. There doesn't seem to be a job in Ireland as physically demanding as a game of soccer which is what I would prefer. The majority of my education apart from reading, writing and BOMDAS! is of little to no use for me (French, Irish, RELIGION). I now understand how complex mathematics is used in everyday life (10 years too late if you ask me) and regret throwing away that potential.

    I wouldn't mind a job in IT but apart from catering to multinationals needs, Ireland shows little innovation in the sector and there are probably 12 year old kids in other countries with more IT skills than me in terms of coding and software development.

    I know growing up in Ireland is like paradise compared to some other places in the world but I can't help but think or education systems success is exaggerated. In my opinion it's holding our country back.
    The Irish system certainly has problems. But I've lived in the UK, Russia, and have seen the education system at work in a few other countries too (France and Italy spring to mind). They all have pluses and minuses, but I couldn't say they are better or worse than Ireland. One common feature of many countries is the existence of elite secondary schools, which select based on ability (maths particularly) not family wealth. I don't think such things exist here - and perhaps they should.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Murphy View Post
    I'm the opposite, I did Math, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Applied maths for my leaving cert and regret my neglect of languages.

    While you are right that learning Irish was a waste of time, I wish I wasn't so utterly arrogant as to assume that once I did my leaving cert I would never look at a language book again. I'm now work with Spanish and Germans in other offices almost every day and wish I could easily learn new languages.

    Don't regret the past, just work on correcting the flaw for the future. Work on improving your IT skills if that's what you want to do.
    It seemed to me like it wasn't even a matter of neglecting the language subjects. I got a C+ in higher level French. I would have given myself an F grade in foundation level. I simply cannot speak the language so what justifies such a good grade? My grade along with many other non french speakers like myself are obscuring the notion that teaching French is working because it is not. Same with Irish.

    I got a D- in English for the Pre exams, a friend in my class got an A+. 3 months of falling asleep in class later and doing no homework, I get a C+ in higher level English and the same friend got a D-. The whole system seems like a complete farce for that alone.

    Preparation for the real world in public schools is abysmal. Worst of all, there are some great teachers who are constrained teaching within this terrible framework. It's no wonder people grasp onto college with their life before being sent into the trenches!

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    The Irish system certainly has problems. But I've lived in the UK, Russia, and have seen the education system at work in a few other countries too (France and Italy spring to mind). They all have pluses and minuses, but I couldn't say they are better or worse than Ireland. One common feature of many countries is the existence of elite secondary schools, which select based on ability (maths particularly) not family wealth. I don't think such things exist here - and perhaps they should.
    In theory a few basic changes should sort out a lot of problems, but they are so glaringly obvious that their must be a problem with the changes. For example having 4-5 different math teachers throughout my secondary education can't have helped much. It should be kept to an absolute minimum. This goes goes for all subjects. Just when I get used to a teachers style of teaching, it all changes around. I had a maths teacher who would explain one equation very slowly and in detail, next year I had a teacher who would do 10 sums on the board, barely explaining the equation at all.

    (This might be a little off topic but I do consider education to be a determining factor in what the OP is about)

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yogosan View Post
    In theory a few basic changes should sort out a lot of problems, but they are so glaringly obvious that their must be a problem with the changes. For example having 4-5 different math teachers throughout my secondary education can't have helped much. It should be kept to an absolute minimum. This goes goes for all subjects. Just when I get used to a teachers style of teaching, it all changes around. I had a maths teacher who would explain one equation very slowly and in detail, next year I had a teacher who would do 10 sums on the board, barely explaining the equation at all.

    (This might be a little off topic but I do consider education to be a determining factor in what the OP is about)
    Maths is very often taught badly (everywhere, not just Ireland). Its one of those subjects where if you've been doing it for years, you forget what its like not to know it. I've found that the best maths teachers are those who aren't particularly good at maths.

    The 50 min class/module structure isn't the best for this. Longer workgroup/project style learning is far better. 40 min into a class, when the students are nearly getting it, you have to wrap up.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    The IT graduation section has a nicely written editorial I thought I'd share.

    Leaving college: does that mean I have to grow up? - Life & Style | Trends, Tips, News & Advice | The Irish Times - Sat, May 25, 2013

    Sums it up for me - thats why I stayed in college so long.

    I'd love if someone set this to music, like the Baz Luhrmann sunscreen song.

    Baz Luhrmann - Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen - YouTube
    THES!TERIMES telling people that they don't have to become grownups, that they can be childish forever.

    Consistent with the rest of the patronizing drivel they have produced down through the years.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    THES!TERIMES telling people that they don't have to become grownups, that they can be childish forever.

    Consistent with the rest of the patronizing drivel they have produced down through the years.
    I think its more pointing out that most people are childish for ever and just pretend to grow up. In my experience, those few adults who are not childish, never really were. I've met 8 year old who are more adult than some 40 year olds I know.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    When I get together with my friends, we are pretty much as childish as it gets. When strangers are around I am a bit more restrained, in case they get offended by a very insensitive joke. Usually after a few months I find new acquaintances to be as childish as myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •