Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland's excessive alcohol consumption - it is not time to get tough on this issue?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ireland's excessive alcohol consumption - it is not time to get tough on this issue?

After reading a scaremongering thread about Turkey's latest alcohol restrictions, it got me thinking - maybe it's time that we stop trying soft tactics on getting people(especially younger people) to drink less alcohol, and implement the sort of measures that the Drinks industry will squeal at. It's an open secret that most Irish teenagers drink - in my case, I can only name two other people in my year of 50+ students that never drank alcohol. And that was the case since 3rd year.

Yes, it may be true that many people can drink responsibly - but the reality is, many don't, and at any rate, teenagers shouldn't be drinking in the first place. We've had classes where the dangers of alcohol were discussed - all I can say is, they don't work. As long as there is easy enough access to drink, many people in my generation aren't going to listen. It is also true that alcohol consumption has decreased - but it's still unforgivably high, and costs the taxpayer hundreds of million every year, if not billions.

The reality is, if we are to significantly decrease the amount of excessive drinking in this country, we should consider some draconian options - if it means banning Shops or off-licenses from selling drink, if it means minimum pricing of alcohol, should these options, and more, not be considered, for the sake of society as a whole?
    Last edited by Mattarigna; 24th May 2013 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very good post.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The last thing this fooking Country needs is more Big Brother interference. If you don't like it then fook off to Saudi Arabia and join the ragheads for which drinking is a hanging offence!
    “He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.” ― Socrates

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    Very good post.
    Thank you, but it won't be long before some people decide that they can't argue with common sense, and instead resort to sneering at me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by opinions View Post
    The last thing this fooking Country needs is more Big Brother interference. If you don't like it then fook off to Saudi Arabia and join the ragheads for which drinking is a hanging offence!
    Would you rather having the government spending a small amount of money to deal with the causes of excessive drinking, or do you prefer having it spend billions on dealing with it's consequences?
    Last edited by Mattarigna; 24th May 2013 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree to a certain degree. I do drink myself but sometimes I wake up the next day and regret how much I drank. I was thinking a good idea could be to keep tabs on what people are drinking (somehow) and if they drink anymore than 6 drinks they have to pay more for said drinks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know the results of what drink can do to families, and i have no doubt that alcoholism is hereditary .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How could you possibly tolerate living in this country if you werent half pissed most of the time?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Irish View Post
    I agree to a certain degree. I do drink myself but sometimes I wake up the next day and regret how much I drank. I was thinking a good idea could be to keep tabs on what people are drinking (somehow) and if they drink anymore than 6 drinks they have to pay more for said drinks.
    An idea I've had was that, if there was a system of national ID's, that in order to buy an alcoholic drink in a Pub, you have to have your ID scanned, and it won't allow you to buy more drink than what would be dangerous to your health. Although that idea would have it's practical difficulties, obviously.

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast