Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: New "Al Jazeera America" channel launched

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default New "Al Jazeera America" channel launched

    After a decade reporting in the most dangerous and dysfunctional regimes in the world, Al Jazeera are bringing real journalism and enlightenment to the final frontier of civilization - the USA.

    For the past few months we’ve been building our broadcast centers in New York City, Washington, D.C, and Los Angeles; developing our programs; and hiring truly top notch journalists who are passionate about the Al Jazeera style of news coverage. One of our first hires, former CNN business reporter Ali Velshi, is developing a prime-time business show.

    ...

    To report on the stories that matter most to Americans, we know we need to have a strong presence on the ground. We announced bureau openings in two of America’s greatest cities – Detroit and Chicago – where we recently met with members of the media, community leaders, students, business leaders and more. The response was overwhelming. Everywhere we went, people were excited about Al Jazeera America, eager to hear more about our plans, and grateful for the opportunity to be included in our launch later this year.

    Our 12 bureaus in the U.S. – which will make us one of the largest news gathering organizations in America – will be critical components of the interconnectedness you’ll see in all news reporting on Al Jazeera America. We want our reporters to be on the ground where the news is actually happening because what takes place in Chicago, Detroit and in the cities where our other bureaus will be located, will have an impact on all Americans and communities around the world. Our strong presence will enable Al Jazeera America to report on the economic, social, political and cultural news that really matters to you.
    http://america.aljazeera.com/

    I wonder how Fox News will take this?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member JemmyR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    After a decade reporting in the most dangerous and dysfunctional regimes in the world, Al Jazeera are bringing real journalism and enlightenment to the final frontier of civilization - the USA.



    http://america.aljazeera.com/

    I wonder how Fox News will take this?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member ManOfReason's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    To report on the stories that matter most to Americans, we know we need to have a strong presence on the ground. We announced bureau openings in two of America’s greatest cities – Detroit and Chicago – where we recently met with members of the media, community leaders, students, business leaders and more. The response was overwhelming. Everywhere we went, people were excited about Al Jazeera America, eager to hear more about our plans, and grateful for the opportunity to be included in our launch later this year.?
    I have highlighted all the lies, sorry - marketing spin, in just one paragraph.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfReason View Post
    I have highlighted all the lies, sorry - marketing spin, in just one paragraph.
    Americans are excited about everything. Its hardly a lie.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,842
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    I wonder how Fox News will take this?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    east and west
    Posts
    22,735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It is a pretty good channel overall if you want to see the world from beyond a narrow Americanized point of view. Watching it is very instructive at least for the fact that you get to see how narrow the focus of the western media really is. I wonder can they keep it up though? Will they tone down their coverage of Israel in order to fit in to the US market and keep on the good side of Washington?
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member ManOfReason's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Americans are excited about everything. Its hardly a lie.
    Because endless negativity has served the Irish so well?
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member seabhcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    14,309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfReason View Post
    Because endless negativity has served the Irish so well?
    Are those the only two options?

    Endlessly positive up to and beyond the point of mass murder, or endlessly negative to the point of.... meh.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member ManOfReason's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Are those the only two options?

    Endlessly positive up to and beyond the point of mass murder, or endlessly negative to the point of.... meh.
    The third option is avoiding overly simplistic generalisations.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    20,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This is the Channel that used to be Al Gore's 'Current TV'. I'm prepared to give it a go. The news channels in the US have gone downhill in recent years, and CNBC has become a platform for the Republican Party, especially in the morning.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •