Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 250

Thread: ‘The Hidden History of Protestants and the Irish Language’

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    skintown
    Posts
    44,975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default ‘The Hidden History of Protestants and the Irish Language’

    Just back from this talk/lecture presented by Linda Ervine (wife of Brian, sister in law of David) fascinating stuff and very well presented. She gave much the same talk to the PUP conference...https://audioboo.fm/boos/1004825-pup...irish-language (loses a little of it's impact because of the lack of visuals) and I think she recently presented it to a SF workshop.

    Another thing that doesn't come across in the audio is Linda's very obvious genuine passion for the Irish language. She gives a great insight to a forgotten or hidden narrative. I already knew some of it but was surprised to hear how anti-Irish the RCC was in the 1800's while at the same time Presbyterian minister's were roaming the country conducting services in Irish (hoping for converts of course!!).

    She quoted Douglas Hyde, son of a Church of Ireland minister, who founded the Gaelic League in 1893, an organisation set up to preserve the Irish language. In 1905 he said:

    ''The Irish language, thank God, is neither Protestant nor Catholic, it is neither a Unionist nor a Separatist''.
    PUP conference – Irish language, welfare reform, parading, Matt Baggott and the leader’s speech « Slugger O'Toole

    She is now taking a sabbatical from her teaching job to be Irish language development officer for the East Belfast Mission.

    She says demand for the classes is growing steadily.

    "We started our first class last November, and that is continuing, and we started a new beginners class a couple of weeks ago," she said. "Altogether, we have almost 40 people learning Irish.
    BBC News - Breaking the Irish language barrier in east Belfast

    Somewhat fitting for the mad house that is OWC that the wife of the ex-PUP leader is one of the foremost unionist proponent's of the Irish language...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

  2. #2
    Temporary Ban
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Thinking of learning a bit of Irish yourself? I was going to type something as Gaelige but I got a warning for doing that yesterday.
    Imagine that.
    Anyway the Ervine's always seemed like decent people. Decent people who got caught up in circumstance.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    skintown
    Posts
    44,975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A REASON View Post
    Thinking of learning a bit of Irish yourself? I was going to type something as Gaelige but I got a warning for doing that yesterday.
    Imagine that.
    Anyway the Ervine's always seemed like decent people. Decent people who got caught up in circumstance.
    Wouldn't say i'm as passionate about it as Linda Ervine but I have more than a passing interest, had myself down for an introduction course but they changed the night so it ended up not suiting! Tbh I don't see myself as ending up fluent i'd be happy with a bit of general knowledge and a few phrases... a bit like Gerry!!!
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member TiredOfBeingTired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    I am where "we" aren't
    Posts
    3,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A quick check implies that the East Belfast Mission (East Belfast Mission) is a long standing organisation with a non political agenda.

    There is probably public money somewhere but the Irish language interest does seem natural or organic and has a decent chance of some success. I am tired of the heavily subsidised, political, quango queens etc approach that does not work.

    BTW, you aint on the Norn Iron Forum now!
    "OWC" needs explaining.
    Sometimes there is very little between historical and hysterical. One passes for the other. In time, the former remains forever, the latter is quickly replaced...

  5. #5
    Temporary Ban
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Wouldn't say i'm as passionate about it as Linda Ervine but I have more than a passing interest, had myself down for an introduction course but they changed the night so it ended up not suiting! Tbh I don't see myself as ending up fluent i'd be happy with a bit of general knowledge and a few phrases... a bit like Gerry!!!
    That would be a bit better than Gerry in fairness.
    Take a trip out to the West, be that Galway, Donegal, Kerry or wherever and have a listen to the native speakers. Might influence you to go for fluency. Nice places to visit as well.

  6. #6
    Temporary Ban
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfBeingTired View Post
    A quick check implies that the East Belfast Mission (East Belfast Mission) is a long standing organisation with a non political agenda.

    There is probably public money somewhere but the Irish language interest does seem natural or organic and has a decent chance of some success. I am tired of the heavily subsidised, political, quango queens etc approach that does not work.

    BTW, you aint on the Norn Iron Forum now!
    "OWC" needs explaining.
    Our wee country.
    The stories of everyone, Protestant and Catholic, speaking Irish together in Belfast not that long ago always interests me, it's kind of encouraging. Not that everyone has to speak Irish together but the idea that everyone in the 'wee country' have more in common and share more history/culture than many will admit today.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    skintown
    Posts
    44,975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfBeingTired View Post
    A quick check implies that the East Belfast Mission (East Belfast Mission) is a long standing organisation with a non political agenda.

    There is probably public money somewhere but the Irish language interest does seem natural or organic and has a decent chance of some success. I am tired of the heavily subsidised, political, quango queens etc approach that does not work.

    BTW, you aint on the Norn Iron Forum now!
    "OWC" needs explaining.[/QUOTE]
    feck them if they don't know what this part of the island is called by now there's no hope for them...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

  8. #8
    Temporary Ban
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    [QUOTE=between the bridges;6801619]

    feck them if they don't know what this part of the island is called by now there's no hope for them...
    The 6 counties?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The RCC viewed Ireland as a spawning ground for emigrants that would go out to "catholicize" the empire; this is why she was latterly so hostile to the Irish language and a fervent advocate of anglicization.

    The Protestants, outwith the established church and desiring converts more than anything else, used the common tongue to attract the people; in Ulster this was quite successful.

    Irish and Protestantism have a deep and fascinating history.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    skintown
    Posts
    44,975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A REASON View Post
    Our wee country.
    The stories of everyone, Protestant and Catholic, speaking Irish together in Belfast not that long ago always interests me, it's kind of encouraging. Not that everyone has to speak Irish together but the idea that everyone in the 'wee country' have more in common and share more history/culture than many will admit today.
    Couple of things from tonight...
    David Ervine's granddad and great uncles were fluent and they marked English and Irish on the 1911 census (they also signed the covenant and fought at the Somme)

    Currently two Belfast protestant churches run a monthly Sunday service in Irish.

    As well as encouraging PUL to take up the language she has also encouraged some CNR who previously thought it to political!
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •