Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 212

Thread: Paul Reynolds- rte news aka garda spokesperson

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Paul Reynolds- rte news aka garda spokesperson

    Having just watched the rte news I was amazed at paul reynolds reporting of the stinging criticism of the gardai by the ombudsman. This is a major story but instead his report might have been written by the garda press office (perhaps it was)and he did everything he could to downplay the seriousness of the issues raised. The ombudsman is the watchdog for the gardai and they are appalled at the lack of cooperation they are receiving, but listening to Paul they might as well be some bunch of loonies and cranks who dont know what they are talking about and are wasting lots of garda time with their silly questions. Hacks like Reynolds obviously rely on garda sources for their stories and dont want to upset them but this was embarrassing and licence payers deserve better.....

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member nonpartyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It's really very simple,

    something involving those at the top obfuscate, delay, review, system analysis, internal review.

    something involving those at the bottom, where is the nearest tree ?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Korea
    Posts
    7,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'd prefer if the Guards were a lot quicker investigating robberies and burglaries than being occupied answering the Ombudsmans investigation into some gougers complaint

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Mushroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Provence.
    Posts
    15,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freewillie View Post
    I'd prefer if the Guards were a lot quicker investigating robberies and burglaries than being occupied answering the Ombudsmans investigation into some gougers complaint
    Agreed.

    Of course if rank and file Gardai were more active in rooting out the minority of scummers in their midst, rather than turning the blind eye, then the Ombudsman's Office wouldn't have to keep chasing them for all of those tiresome, time-consuming reports.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Korea
    Posts
    7,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    Agreed.

    Of course if rank and file Gardai were more active in rooting out the minority of scummers in their midst, rather than turning the blind eye, then the Ombudsman's Office wouldn't have to keep looking for all of those tiresome, time-consuming reports.
    But where would the favoured ex Gardai get jobs then if the Ombudsman wasn't employing. There's no such thing as independent in Ireland

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    55,716
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    Agreed.

    Of course if rank and file Gardai were more active in rooting out the minority of scummers in their midst, rather than turning the blind eye, then the Ombudsman's Office wouldn't have to keep chasing them for all of those tiresome, time-consuming reports.
    The one question I have would concern how well qualified the Ombudsman is to deal with the Gardai in a way that does not waste their time. I certainly got the impression that in the Boylan case he did not quite grasp the subtleties and delicacies associated with witness protection.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member sadmal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    12,312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joeclogs View Post
    Having just watched the rte news I was amazed at paul reynolds reporting of the stinging criticism of the gardai by the ombudsman. This is a major story but instead his report might have been written by the garda press office (perhaps it was)and he did everything he could to downplay the seriousness of the issues raised. The ombudsman is the watchdog for the gardai and they are appalled at the lack of cooperation they are receiving, but listening to Paul they might as well be some bunch of loonies and cranks who dont know what they are talking about and are wasting lots of garda time with their silly questions. Hacks like Reynolds obviously rely on garda sources for their stories and dont want to upset them but this was embarrassing and licence payers deserve better.....
    All crime journalists rely on their garda friends for information. That's how, within an hour of someone's death, they are able to tell us if the victim was "known to Gardai". Paul Williams probably has several garda sources considering the amount of books he publishes.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    14,890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadmal View Post
    All crime journalists rely on their garda friends for information. That's how, within an hour of someone's death, they are able to tell us if the victim was "known to Gardai". Paul Williams probably has several garda sources considering the amount of books he publishes.
    Don't kid yourself. These " Garda sources" are basically just the Garda Press office acting anonymously 'cause it suits them not to be attributed to the propaganda they are getting Williams to put out for them.

    D

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Korea
    Posts
    7,204
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuineEile View Post
    Don't kid yourself. These " Garda sources" are basically just the Garda Press office acting anonymously 'cause it suits them not to be attributed to the propaganda they are getting Williams to put out for them.

    D
    Did a "garda source" tell you that or did you make it up like the crime journalists do because some poor scumbag is lying dead and he cant sue

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freewillie View Post
    I'd prefer if the Guards were a lot quicker investigating robberies and burglaries than being occupied answering the Ombudsmans investigation into some gougers complaint
    you should know you ************************************g plant

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •