Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Creche Concerns.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Creche Concerns.

Following the Garda probe into staff behaviour at three creches in the Dublin area, concern is now being expressed about the regularity and rigour of HSE creche inspections, and also the fact that whereas nursing home and school inspection reports are published by the DES and the HSE, creche inspection reports must be obtained under FOI

Parents left in the dark over findings of inspections into childcare facilities - Independent.ie

Recent reports have also commented on the short or inadequate training of some childcare personnel.

The recent Garda probe comes on foot of an RTE programme --not yet broadcast--which involved a reporter posing as a care worker with hidden cameras in creches in Dublin

How well informed are parents of what is really happening in their child's creche?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is the link to today's media reports on the Garda and HSE probe into alleged mis-handling of children in three creches:

Creches are probed by gardai, HSE over claims children mishandled - Independent.ie

I'm so glad our crèche days are over. It was bloody awful and stupid expensive to boot.

On one particular day I took time off work so that I could spy on the crèche person collecting one of the kids, just to be sure they were on time and whatnot. I sat in the car across the road. Anyway, all was well so maybe I was uber paranoid. But it did make me feel better..

Anyway, if these kids are very young, under about 4 or 5, they can't really communicate to their parents what goes on in crèche..
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post
    I'm so glad our crèche days are over. It was bloody awful and stupid expensive to boot.

On one particular day I took time off work so that I could spy on the crèche person collecting one of the kids, just to be sure they were on time and whatnot. I sat in the car across the road. Anyway, all was well so maybe I was uber paranoid. But it did make me feel better..

Anyway, if these kids are very young, under about 4 or 5, they can't really communicate to their parents what goes on in crèche..
    We had a neighboring woman mind the kids in her home - they were crazy about her and she about them and we and other parents all became very good friends with her and her family. And this was common in the area. What I don't understand, particularly in the middle of a deep recession, is why more women are not setting up in this kind of work. The crèches are a total rip-off and they could compete very effectively with them, both in terms of price and the quality of child-minding.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crocodile tears from Michael Martin, who over saw the neglect of the health of everychild in this state and FF came up with the idea of building a hospital on the north circular roads gridlock.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post

My experience of them--apart from the terrible expense--was very positive

But parents have very high expectations now.

This pre-school year--part funded by the taxpayer--is not going too well either. Poor quality tuition...poor staff training...Quality issues found in preschool tuition - Education News | Primary, Secondary & Third Level | The Irish Time - Mon, May 20, 2013

Are we asking too much of creches, really? Asking them to substitute for parents, and more recently, for schools?

Btw,I think parents should have access to creche inspection reports on the HSE website--as they have to school inspection reports on the DES website--without having to go through FOI

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    We had a neighboring woman mind the kids in her home - they were crazy about her and she about them and we and other parents all became very good friends with her and her family. And this was common in the area. What I don't understand, particularly in the middle of a deep recession, is why more women are not setting up in this kind of work. The crèches are a total rip-off and they could compete very effectively with them, both in terms of price and the quality of child-minding.
    I'm not sure that its legal for someone to simply take the children. I believe in England there are all sorts of rules and regulations that have to be agreed starting with CRB the equivalent of Garda Vetting.
    Its Up to ME

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you GatsbyGirl for highlighting yet another awful failure by the HSE.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pippakin View Post
    I'm not sure that its legal for someone to simply take the children. I believe in England there are all sorts of rules and regulations that have to be agreed starting with CRB the equivalent of Garda Vetting.
    I'm sure there are a few hoops they would have to jump through that didn't apply or were just ignored in the past. I just know that if we were starting again we would be looking for the same arrangement again, and not a crèche.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    Thank you GatsbyGirl for highlighting yet another awful failure by the HSE.
    Ah, Mercedes, there was I thinking you were going to be posting how if only childcare was privatised, costs would come down and it would all be "fit for purpose" because of the natural competition of the unfettered market---unlike those "protected" services that are run by the state.....oh, wait...

The HSE have not covered themselves in glory here--but they do inspect.....

How often should they inspect..? And should parents not have immediate access to these reports?

Most creches probably do a great job, but if parents cannot get access to information, inevitably they will worry

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast