Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 116 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Second level teachers to have over 4 years of unpaid work imposed by both Croke Park agreements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Second level teachers to have over 4 years of unpaid work imposed by both Croke Park agreements.

The two Croke Park Agreements (although the second has yet to be agreed) have/will imposed large cuts on the terms and conditions of employment of all public sector workers since the introduction of the original Croke Park agreement imposed in 2010.

As has been mentioned before teachers in Irish schools spend more time classroom teaching than most teachers in other OECD countries - http://www.politics.ie/forum/educati...-eu-state.html

As the link above shows full time post primary teachers in Ireland spend 735 hours in front of students annually. Over a 40 year career this equates to 29,400 hours

The original Croke Park Agreement imposed an extra 33 hours annually - all done outside official school opening hours.

The new Croke Park agreement is set to impose a further 43 hours in front of students in the form of supervision & substitution during school opening hours and in the classroom. This will leave teachers with virtually no preparatory time.

So overall a further official 76 hours is to be added to the workload of full time teachers per annum - this equates to 811 hours per annum or 32,440 over a forty year career.

This represents an increase of 3,040 hours over a 40 career . . . or over 4 years extra unpaid (if one year assumes 735 hours)

This does not take into account the fact that the additional hours that teachers volunteer, the fact that they effectively cannot be promoted (due to the recruitment embargo), two separate pay cuts, worse non-cert sick leave entitlement (7 days over 24 months), worse maternity leave entitlements, separate pay cuts for new teachers, pending abolition of the junior cert . . with teachers to do the work instead. . . . . . .

With unions like these. . . .

VOTE NO TO CROKE PARK 2 . . . AGAIN!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You'll get over it, just think of all the advantages!.....June, July and August!!

Jayziz, 735 hours in a year? I work that in 18 weeks and I thought I had it handy.
    Redacted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post
    Jayziz, 735 hours in a year? I work that in 18 weeks and I thought I had it handy.
    irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    irrelevant.
    Ok then.
    Redacted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

So how many hours a year will teachers work in total now?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    So how many hours a year will teachers work in total now?
    I think the opening post makes that quite clear.

These figures in the OP refer only to teaching/CP1 hours ONLY with no hours for other duties required of a teacher.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post

There was couple renovating a house in France on Grand Designs and they worked 700 hours each in eight weeks. They didn't thinlk they had it handy tho'-they just enjoyed their work.

ASTI HQ is saying:
    Under the revised proposals:

All teachers would have to engage in S&S up to a maximum of 43 hours per year. They would have to be available for substitution for 5 timetabled class periods per week, and to engage in S&S for a maximum of 3 hours.

S&S payments would be discontinued with effect from the 2013/2014 school year. However, to compensate, a gross additional payment of €796 would be included in the incremental scale for teachers in 2016/2017 and a further €796 would be included in the incremental scale in the school year 2017/2018, i.e. a total salary increase of €1,592 for each teacher.

Cover would not be required for the first day of bereavement leave or of certified sick leave. Cover for the first day of force majeure leave under S&S would be deferred to 2014/2015 school year.

Everyone's hours are going up this looks not dissimilar to others when taken in context.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    The two Croke Park Agreements (although the second has yet to be agreed) have/will imposed large cuts on the terms and conditions of employment of all public sector workers since the introduction of the original Croke Park agreement imposed in 2010.

As has been mentioned before teachers in Irish schools spend more time classroom teaching than most teachers in other OECD countries - http://www.politics.ie/forum/educati...-eu-state.html

As the link above shows full time post primary teachers in Ireland spend 735 hours in front of students annually. Over a 40 year career this equates to 29,400 hours

The original Croke Park Agreement imposed an extra 33 hours annually - all done outside official school opening hours.

The new Croke Park agreement is set to impose a further 43 hours in front of students in the form of supervision & substitution during school opening hours and in the classroom. This will leave teachers with virtually no preparatory time.

So overall a further official 76 hours is to be added to the workload of full time teachers per annum - this equates to 811 hours per annum or 32,440 over a forty year career.

This represents an increase of 3,040 hours over a 40 career . . . or over 4 years extra unpaid (if one year assumes 735 hours)

This does not take into account the fact that the additional hours that teachers volunteer, the fact that they effectively cannot be promoted (due to the recruitment embargo), two separate pay cuts, worse non-cert sick leave entitlement (7 days over 24 months), worse maternity leave entitlements, separate pay cuts for new teachers, pending abolition of the junior cert . . with teachers to do the work instead. . . . . . .

With unions like these. . . .

VOTE NO TO CROKE PARK 2 . . . AGAIN!
    Worse maternity leave entitlements??? You must be joking when you include that in your list of gripes. I know a female second level teacher who has worked only a few measly weeks in the past five years because of maternity leave entitlements and she has been on full pay. Not the social welfare floor and ceiling, the actual pay she would have received if she was actually teaching in the classroom.

This is a silly op as there are many far, far worse off as a result of the down turn.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is shocking.

735 hours a year in front of kids.

If you assume 80% of their work is in front of kids I.e 20% of their job is prepping for class, then they work an miserly 920 hr per year.

Compare that to a proper job.
    920 hours divided by (52 weeks less 6 weeks holidays) and it works out at 20hours work a week or 4 hours per day.

No wonder Ireland is screwed.

Page 1 of 116 123451151101 ... LastLast