Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish International Immigrant Center "shops" Irish Student.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Irish International Immigrant Center "shops" Irish Student.

An angry piece by Niall O'Dowd in his "Periscope" column for Irish Central.

Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities by Irish immigrant support group - Boston-based Irish International Immigrant Center does the unspeakable

The girl in question - in the USA - breached the terms of her 12 month study/travel visa by working in a bar for extra money. She was also - quite properly - working for Irish Central at the time and made the mistake of writing about her experiences. The article was spotted and the US authorities informed.

An unusual - and surely rather petty - twist in the ongoing Irish immigrant situation - especially when it is looking as if some sort of deal will be done over the "illegal Irish".

Strictly speaking, of course, she did break her "contract" with the US Government. But was this just and should the Irish Government consider any future funding for the Irish International Immigrant Center?
    Last edited by Cruimh; 23rd May 2013 at 05:13 PM.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Motherfkrs. They should be shot with a ball of their own sht.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I don't know Cruimh. Is it there to support Irish immigrants in breaking the law? If it is, then clearly it has failed in its duties and yes the Irish government should indeed stop funding it.
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Put an Irishman on the spit and you can always get another Irishman to turn him.

-GBS
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    Well I don't know Cruimh. Is it there to support Irish immigrants in breaking the law? If it is, then clearly it has failed in its duties and yes the Irish government should indeed stop funding it.
    It seems to have been a very minor breach of the terms of her Visa. I did wonder though if, as she was there on a one year visa, whether or not she should even be considered an immigrant?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apparently according to Mr O'Dowd it was the Northern Irish people's fault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They make millions processing student working visas, while also getting Irish Government grants. Scumbags

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    Put an Irishman on the spit and you can always get another Irishman to turn him.

-GBS
    Maybe we need a few spits in the Central Bank, the banks, NAMA, Shrewsbury Road....
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    It seems to have been a very minor breach of the terms of her Visa. I did wonder though if, as she was there on a one year visa, whether or not she should even be considered an immigrant?
    It does seem minor, but a breach is a breach. I doubt I'd report something like that myself but I really can't get too worked up about someone who did... and certainly not a government-funded agency doing it.
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    It does seem minor, but a breach is a breach. I doubt I'd report something like that myself but I really can't get too worked up about someone who did... and certainly not a government-funded agency doing it.
    I could understand if the centre had been officially involved in some way and as such were worried about getting in trouble themselves - but it seems that an employee noticed the article she had written and chose to follow it up. Of course, it can be argued that it was foolish to write the article in the first place.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast