Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Patrick Honohan's latest attempt to protect the Bankers

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Patrick Honohan's latest attempt to protect the Bankers

Time for passivity to end

"Mr Honohan said lenders needed to address the problem of non-performing mortgage debt “more energetically than has been the case in the past”."

"Following the introduction of personal insolvency legislation, Mr Honohan said it would be “unwise” for anyone to think that not paying their debts is a matter of choice and he warned that non-cooperative mortgage borrowers “really are at risk of losing their homes”."

"He said permanent debt relief was not something that can be offered to all and has to be limited to those who are truly over-indebted to the point of insolvency."

"“In particular, despite the fact that households in negative equity do seem to be over-represented among the arrears cases, negative equity is not in itself a viable rationale for providing debt relief,” he said."

Is there any reason why we should listen to this idiot at this stage? He is trying to whip up hysteria against mortgage holders, particularly those in negative equity, who have decided enough is enough.

In particular, he is trying to threaten them with the loss of their home, when frankly for many of them, the best thing that could happen to them is to lose their home.

He is really beginning to get on my tits at this stage.

D
    Last edited by DuineEile; 23rd May 2013 at 04:52 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope the governor gets off your tits soon.
    There, there.

Politics.ie Member Picasso Republic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should have been thrown out on his ear a few years ago for professional negligence and incompetence, a few months in prison and pension should have been cut to civil service average at best.

He may be correct in what he says, but his words are worthless and his overall contribution to Ireland has been extremely negative.

Politics.ie Member Picasso Republic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wouldnt you love to read a report where either Brian Cowan or Bertie Ahern utters words supporting Honohans comments !!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

John Lonergan, Rhona Mahony, Patrick Honohan................. taxpayers money is spent on PR training and soft media focus from RTE.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

/MOD/ You can update the OP with some quotes or it's off to the zoo. /MOD/
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Quote Originally Posted by Picasso Republic View Post
    Should have been thrown out on his ear a few years ago for professional negligence and incompetence, a few months in prison and pension should have been cut to civil service average at best.

He may be correct in what he says, but his words are worthless and his overall contribution to Ireland has been extremely negative.
    Two things:

1. You know he was appointed 4 under 4 years ago, right? - at which point should he have been thrown out on his ear?; and
    2. You say "he may be correct"...does that not save him from the chop?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    /MOD/ You can update the OP with some quotes or it's off to the zoo. /MOD/
    Hello mrs honohan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

“In particular, despite the fact that households in negative equity do seem to be over-represented among the arrears cases, negative equity is not in itself a viable rationale for providing debt relief,
    Honohan doesn't seem to have asked himself the question as when these particular households took out the loan. If they are in negative equity, then more than likely they will have bought in 2003 to 2007. Therefore they overpaid and overstretched themselves. So you would expect them to form most of the arrears. Duh.
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At the same time Honohan also seems to be prodding the banks to actually deal with the arrears problem. At this stage, I'm not convinced that quiet diplomacy is the right strategy - a bit more bull horn is needed.

Mr Honohan said splitting mortgages between borrowers and lenders may provide sustainable solutions for ‘’significant numbers.’’
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast