Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3D printing just wont go away and just might end world hunger

Default 3D printing just wont go away and just might end world hunger

Nasa have just given a company $125,000 to produce a prototype food printer in 6 months.

Anjan Contractor’s 3D food printer might evoke visions of the “replicator” popularized in Star Trek, from which Captain Picard was constantly interrupting himself to order tea. And indeed Contractor’s company, Systems & Materials Research Corporation, just got a six month, $125,000 grant from NASA to create a prototype of his universal food synthesizer.

But Contractor, a mechanical engineer with a background in 3D printing, envisions a much more mundane—and ultimately more important—use for the technology. He sees a day when every kitchen has a 3D printer, and the earth’s 12 billion people feed themselves customized, nutritionally-appropriate meals synthesized one layer at a time, from cartridges of powder and oils they buy at the corner grocery store.
    But its the possible ingredients for the food inks which drew my attention,
    In TNO’s vision of a future of 3D printed meals, “alternative ingredients” for food include:

• algae

• duckweed

• grass

• lupine seeds

• beet leafs

• insects

From astronauts to emerging markets

While Contractor and his team are initially focusing on applications for long-distance space travel, his eventual goal is to turn his system for 3D printing food into a design that can be licensed to someone who wants to turn it into a business.......................................

The audacious plan to end hunger with 3-D printed food – Quartz
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post

Ah, so Dennis Moore was not so crazy when it came to lupins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

photosynthesis is simply amazing, converting free energy into mass (okay some nutrients are needed) but as you get older you really understand food as a fuel for your engine.Anything that is full of artificial preservatives is just rubbish really, just look at some of the breakfast cereals, the flippin cardboard they come in is better than the contents.

Farmers should be getting in on the internet and offering food online, need spuds? come to my field next Tuesday and pick up 3 bags (25kg) for a fiver each. The IFA should have a grab one type platform. Book your food when the farmer is picking and just turn up.

This would encourage farmers to get away from the rip off model imposed by the supermarkets as they could plant 3 or 4 crops in one field and only pick what is needed.I am sure there is many different models for efficiency but cutting out the middlemen always makes sense.

North Dublin is the best place in Ireland for veg, it is a shame nobody is bringing the farmers and the public together instead of these stupid allotments, it makes me cringe when I think of the waste in having allotments. petrol, seed,rent, tools,time,fertilizer, etc when a professional like a farmer can do it for a fraction of the price.
    Last edited by storybud1; 23rd May 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Politics.ie Member tipp revolution's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Allotments fill a certain need I wouldn't discount them completely ( sometimes I think this site is full of accountants!)
    "Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king"
    Diogenes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by storybud1 View Post

North Dublin is the best place in Ireland for veg, it is a shame nobody is bringing the farmers and the public together instead of these stupid allotments, it makes me cringe when I think of the waste in having allotments. petrol, seed,rent, tools,time,fertilizer, etc when a professional like a farmer can do it for a fraction of the price.
    Allotments are one of the few means of bringing the rural , farmer , professional together with the city enthusiast.
    Its not a waste to give townies a taste of horticulture. Horticulturally educated townies will be more inclined to engage directly with the producer and avoid supermarkets.
    I love all the different cheeses.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I was feeling a tad peckish so went and printed myself a nice bacon sarnie......
    Very chewy result.............

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Gill View Post
    Nasa have just given a company $125,000 to produce a prototype food printer in 6 months.

The fleggers will never eat that:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tea, Earl-Grey, hot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Alda View Post
    Allotments are one of the few means of bringing the rural , farmer , professional together with the city enthusiast.
    Its not a waste to give townies a taste of horticulture. Horticulturally educated townies will be more inclined to engage directly with the producer and avoid supermarkets.
    having worked on farms since I was a kid I can tell you allotments are a joke, vegetable farming is tough hard work that would probably likely kill most allotment holders in a week if they had to do it.

A good farmer can grow vegetables for a fraction of the cost of allotments, it is simple: I want good food as cheap as possible, just consider the costs of allotments as opposed to engaging with a farmer? it is a no brainer.

The allotment holders can still waste petrol,seed,time,fertilizer,tools,sheds,etc or engage with a farmer to buy his produce at a fraction of the price it would cost them to do. Just add it up and farmers can give you a bag of spuds for 3 or 4 quid compared to the 10 or 15 quid it will cost you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast