Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the Garda Commissioner resign?

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should the Garda Commissioner resign?

From my conversations with Gardai in recent months it seemed that they had nothing but contempt for their Commissioner. I felt that this might not necessarily point to him doing a bad job, in fact it might suggest he was making the necessary cuts and they were simply feeling the pain and reacting.

However, following recent revelations by the Minister for Justice which suggest that the Commissioner is now reduced to telling tales on those in the Opposition benches, should his job be under pressure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, but his boss should.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

both of them should imo. This kind of crap just isn't acceptable anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't be silly. No one ever resigns in Ireland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In a functioning democracy both he and the Minister would resign alas what we have is a sophisticated nepostistic kleptocracy.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did the GRA not call for a vote of no confidence in the Garda Commissioner last February.

The problem is will he bring Shatter down with him now that Shatter has "patted him on the head"

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But in fairness to the Minister, if what he has said is true, it may be that all he is guilty of is blurting out something in the heat of debate that he should really know ought not to be raised.

But the Commissioner is the one who thought that a brief interaction between a citizen and the Gardai was the stuff to raise at a meeting with the Minister, and is the one who seems to have done most to impugn Wallace's "privacy" (if that exists). Why say it unless he knew it would be used to damage that person?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    In a functioning democracy both he and the Minister would resign alas what we have is a sophisticated nepostistic kleptocracy.
    It's not that sophisticated eoghany. It's blatantly in your face. And much worse, it's tolerated if not positively encouraged by the 'sophisticated' electorate.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Look.... this is Ireland... a country in which all sorts can happen in all walks of life due to cronyism, incompetence, stupidity, idiocy, deceit, criminality blah blah blah... and as long as you're part of the 'establishment' or you've tight links with it... these things simply don't matter...

You can do what you like and f*** up as much as you like without any fear of suffering any consequences...

Priests raped kids FFS... and bishops covered it up... and many of them are still wandering around wondering what all the fuss is about...

Some of them are even pontificating again, like they did in the good old days...

And of course there's always the w*nker bankers too... parasites who helped destroy this country but who remain in situ on fat pay and pensions and loads of public money pumped in to keep them going...

As for 'resigning'... I'm not sure that word even exists in Ireland... and certainly not within the 'establishment'....

And we all tolerate it... all the time... so I won't be holding my breath that anything will change any time soon... if at all...

The 'establishment' know exactly how apathetic and generally useless we are...
    Last edited by Spanner Island; 22nd May 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Everybody should resign. Then everyone would be happy, right?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast