Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iodine deficiency may lower children's IQ

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Iodine deficiency may lower children's IQ

BBC News - Iodine deficiency 'may lower UK children's IQ'

Go into a pharmacy and one can only find iodine in kelp tablets, allegedly as addicts cut traditional iodine powder with narcotics in the 1980's. Irish multiples also removed it from their shelves (fearing adverse publicity for stocking the stuff), thankfully the discounters brought it back.

More of the ban/compel dogma and less educated/moderated use angle, yes that works so well in Ireland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A proper balanced diet will supply all the iodine your body needs. I suspect is a better approach than popping pills.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Finally a use for those tablets the government sent out around 2002.

Dylan2010

The spray from crashing sea waves releases iodine into the air, so as you are taking in a peaceful stroll along the beach you are breathing in the benefits of iodine entering your respiratory system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    The spray from crashing sea waves releases iodine into the air, so as you are taking in a peaceful stroll along the beach you are breathing in the benefits of iodine entering your respiratory system.
    Some of these studies which look at IQ and diet tend ignore that parents who fail to provide a healthy diet tend to be on the dim side themselves, and dim parents tend to have dim kids.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Some of these studies which look at IQ and diet tend ignore that parents who fail to provide a healthy diet tend to be on the dim side themselves, and dim parents tend to have dim kids.
    Im not sure how they can isolate such variables in strict cause and effect terms. its pretty obvious that "smarter" mothers will do a lot of research when pregnant and try to get everything just right where as the dumber ones will probably keep smoking and drinking and the rest. The same smarter parents afterwards will again be stimulating the kids every which way they can. How the hell do you breakdown the cause and effects if testing for IQ? unless they can show how the brains are chemically different it would be hard to prove either way, the study didn't suggest they had done such work unless I missed it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thegregster View Post
    Finally a use for those tablets the government sent out around 2002.
    I think they are out of date by now. I am surprised they haven't sent out a new batch to replace them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heligoland View Post
    I think they are out of date by now. I am surprised they haven't sent out a new batch to replace them.
    Maybe they quietly realised it was a stupid idea

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    Im not sure how they can isolate such variables in strict cause and effect terms. its pretty obvious that "smarter" mothers will do a lot of research when pregnant and try to get everything just right where as the dumber ones will probably keep smoking and drinking and the rest. The same smarter parents afterwards will again be stimulating the kids every which way they can. How the hell do you breakdown the cause and effects if testing for IQ? unless they can show how the brains are chemically different it would be hard to prove either way, the study didn't suggest they had done such work unless I missed it
    Smarter and dumber? I suggest that it might be more appropriate to supplement those words with very caring and less caring.

Some people are as dumb as a doorpost, but still do their best to try to do the right thing - but fail miserably. Others have brains to burn and adopt a less attentive approach.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast