Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing row between Russia and Azerbaijan over Eurovision scoring.

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Growing row between Russia and Azerbaijan over Eurovision scoring.

Azerbaijan snubbed the Russian eurovision entry by not rewarding a single point and Russia is not happy. Now, I've heard half-serious grumbles over Ireland only receiving a single measly point from the UK but the Russian-Azerbaijan spat was taken up at the highest levels with strong language:-

Russia's foreign minister has called Azerbaijan's failure to award any points to Russia's entry in the Eurovision song contest "outrageous".

Sergei Lavrov said the points had been "stolen" from Russia's Dina Garipova and "this outrageous action will not remain without a response".

Azerbaijan says it cannot explain how it awarded no points to Russia, when Garipova came second in its phone poll.

Russian voters awarded the maximum 12 points to Azerbaijan's Farid Mammadov.

Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev has ordered an inquiry into how its votes for Russia apparently went missing.

And the country's Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov, sitting next to Mr Lavrov at a press conference in Moscow, called it a "detective story".
    BBC News - Russia: Azerbaijan's Eurovision snub 'outrageous'

Personally I think the representatives of both countries should be slapped with a wet fish for taking the Eurovision so seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Brits gave us only one point. I suggest we threaten them with a squadron of Jedwards.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyway *serious expression*, this farce demonstrates:

(a) the subservient nature of Azerbaijan in the Russian-Azeri relationship
    (b) that political discourse in Russia still has some errmmmmmm......developing to do.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_Observer View Post
    Azerbaijan snubbed the Russian eurovision entry by not rewarding a single point and Russia is not happy. Now, I've heard half-serious grumbles over Ireland only receiving a single measly point from the UK but the Russian-Azerbaijan spat was taken up at the highest levels with strong language:-

BBC News - Russia: Azerbaijan's Eurovision snub 'outrageous'

Personally I think the representatives of both countries should be slapped with a wet fish for taking the Eurovision so seriously.
    After Finland's Lordi won Eurovision in the only year that ordinary Europeans had 100% of the vote for the artiests, interference from politicians led to a 50/50 combination of both telephone vote and the votes of juries made up of so called music professionals, who are mostly washed up failed musicians.

That screwed up the voting. Apparently a lot of religious people took serious offence to the brilliant act that is Lordi, even though ordinary Europeans loved them.

There has been a simmering arguement about it in Scandinavia ever since the voting chance as a lot of people see it as anti-democratic.

The Swedish musicians who have 50% of the vote overturned the majority vote for another singer as he was deemed to be offensive to non-Swedes who would be considered homophobic.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yohio#M...estivalen_2013
    http://www.thelocal.se/46664/20130311/#.UZu2GJyja-Q
    Last edited by Nemesiscorporation; 21st May 2013 at 08:02 PM.

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    After Finland's Lordi won Eurovision, interference from politicians led to a 50/50 combination of both telephone vote and the votes of juries made up of so called music professionals, who are mostly washed up failed musicians.

That screwed up the voting. Apparently a lot of religious people took serious offence to the brilliant act that is Lordi, even though ordinary Europeans loved them.

There has been a simmering arguement about it in Scandinavia ever since the voting chance as a lot of people see it as anti-democratic.

The Swedish musicians who have 50% of the vote overturned the majority vote for another singer as he was deemed to be offensive to non-Swedes who would be considered homophobic.
    Don't you just love europe? Can't even agree on how voting for a cheesy talent show should work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Russia has no right to be in the Eurovision Song Contest. It should be reformed to only allow EU members enter. In fact all cultural contests, such as Champions League, should be limited to democratic EU member states. Russia, Belarus and Ukraine have no business being associated with us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You can't really blame them when you consider Russian support for the separatists in Nagorno-Karabakh - an ethnic Armenian enclave in Azerbaijan occupied by Armenian troops. In fact Armenia probably occupies 15% of Azerbaijan much of which has never had an Armenian majority, They couldn't have done this without Russian help covert or otherwise. Since the collapse of the Soviet Union Moscow has been actively supporting separatists in CIS states to provide a pretext for meddling there. Georgia and Moldova are other examples, and the occasional provocative comments on Crimea.
    Fair and Balanced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Nemesiscorporation
    in fairness the scandies have little to complain about they are doing really really well

I think we should declare war on the UK
    If we destroy Liverpool as a warning I am sure they will give us 12 points next year
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I read the title I jokingly thought to myself lol another Eurovision thread.

Truth is stranger than fiction.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    Russia has no right to be in the Eurovision Song Contest. It should be reformed to only allow EU members enter. In fact all cultural contests, such as Champions League, should be limited to democratic EU member states. Russia, Belarus and Ukraine have no business being associated with us.
    your a loon
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast