Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ray Manzarek of The Doors dies age 74.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ray Manzarek of The Doors dies age 74.

Ray Manzarek, keyboard player and founder member of the 1960s rock band The Doors, has died aged 74.

He formed the band with lead singer Jim Morrison in 1965 after a chance meeting in Venice Beach, Los Angeles.

Manzarek, who had suffered from bile duct cancer for many years, died in a clinic in Rosenheim, Germany, with his wife and brothers at his bedside.

The Doors found fame in the 1960s with hits such as The End, Break on Through to the Other Side and Hello I Love You.
    More: BBC News - Doors co-founder Ray Manzarek dies at 74 in Germany

We all know Jim Morrison was the face and the voice but Manzareks' keyboard playing was just brilliant and unique, and his musicianship was as integral a part of the Doors' sound as Morrisons' swagger.

'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Basically the only one of those sixties bands worth listening to.
    Rest in Peace beside the Lizard King!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Ride the highway west baby. Ride the snake.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goa Tse View Post
    Ray Manzarek, keyboard player and founder member of the 1960s rock band The Doors, has died aged 74.

He formed the band with lead singer Jim Morrison in 1965 after a chance meeting in Venice Beach, Los Angeles.

Manzarek, who had suffered from bile duct cancer for many years, died in a clinic in Rosenheim, Germany, with his wife and brothers at his bedside.

The Doors found fame in the 1960s with hits such as The End, Break on Through to the Other Side and Hello I Love You.
    More: BBC News - Doors co-founder Ray Manzarek dies at 74 in Germany

We all know Jim Morrison was the face and the voice but Manzareks' keyboard playing was just brilliant and unique, and his musicianship was as integral a part of the Doors' sound as Morrisons' swagger.

An absolute legend:

A phenomenal keyboard player.

The father-figure in a band of strong personalities.

A voice or reason, maturity and passion in a music-world full of infantilism.

I recently saw another documentary about The Doors - whereas interviews with a huge proportion of rock musicians can be grating displays of attention-seeking, the three remaining band members interviewed had interesting things to say.

Sensational songs, too many to list. A list of lower-standard album fillers by this band would be extremely short.

74, a good innings, and what a legacy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A life well lived.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wasn't ever a Doors fan but my parents were. Seems a lot of the people that I grew up around are dying lately. You know you're getting old when....
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rip.
    All great truths begin as blasphemies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Doors were a fantastic band. All of their albums (with Jim Morrison) were amazing, even their fourth album, The Soft Parade, which was probably their weakest album. Not many bands can release six albums back to back that are classic albums. The only other band I can think of was the Beatles (all their studio albums were classics as far as I'm concerned) and maybe Queen (mind you Hot Space was a bit naff).

I remember the first time I heard the Doors. It was a greatest hits album and I thought they were terrific. By that time Jim Morrison was long dead, but their music sounds as fresh today as it did when they recorded them back in the 60s and very early 70s.
    Fight terror, support Israel!

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

keyboard intro to "When the Music's Over" is legend. Manzarek's keyboards were the sound of the Doors.. instantly recognisable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Doors produced many songs that seem to have a timelessness to them - after all brooding anger will never go out of fashion. A great legacy.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast